My model is BLANK!

copied the wrong link…can you please check this last one I send you?

I understand if you say no…

It’s basically the same file and my instruction above work perfectly.
And I get this.

FWIW, this is the group that seems to be creating the problem. I added the coordinates after changing the units to meters.

That’s more than 1 million miles

3 Likes

Is this the same file??

Dave, how do check that?

I copied the rest of your model, as Box showed, to a different file and then deleted that stuff from yours. Then I hit Zoom Extents which showed me that group. That was in the file you linked to After you told Box he is amazing but that he had the wrong file.

Your file called Provocateur appears to be the full file without being purged. The troublesome group is the very last one on the tree in Outliner. Select and delete that group and you retain everything else.

Some constructive suggestions that may help you with modeling:

• A lot of the bulk of the file is the result of detailed “entourage” elements, most likely downloaded from the 3D Warehouse. One example is the tree, which has a lot of edges and faces when you add up the ones from all the nested leaves and flowers. That’s how your otherwise straightforward model got to over 1.9 million edges. You should always download a 3dw model into a separate SketchUp file and examine its statistics before adding it into your main model, as many of them are absurdly detailed compared to what you really need in the model. You should also avoid adding them into the main model until it is close to finished, as they will bog down many SketchUp operations and thereby make the model awkward to work with and, as we have seen here, difficult to share with others. Finally, always put them into groups or components and associate those groups/components with layers you can turn off while editing the rest of the model.

• You have a lot of edges and faces associated with layers other than Layer0, which is a bad practice that can lead to very confusing errors. There are several ways this may have come to be. You may have set some other layer active while drawing. That is never necessary; always leave Layer0 active while drawing. You may have imported a dwg or dxf that had CAD layers. The importer tries to preserve structure by associating the CAD layer contents with like-named SketchUp layers. But because SketchUp layers don’t behave the same as CAD layers, this is a bad situation you should clean up right after the import. Finally, a model you got from the 3D Warehouse might have misused SketchUp layers and caused the problem. This is something like the edge and face count that you should look for by downloading to a separate file and examining how the 3dW model was built. The bottom line is that the only geometry entities that should use other than layer0 are groups and component instances.

2 Likes

As an alternative, once you have selected the group as @Box and @DaveR described, you can activate the move tool, click the group and wiggle the mouse a bit to start the move, and then type [0,0,0] (you need the square brackets, also if your locale uses , as decimal you need to use ; between the zeros). That will move the group to the origin, where you can see it after doing zoom-extents and then move it to where it really belongs. That way you don’t lose the group.

1 Like

@hanna if you are having any problems please ask, don’t be put off by my somewhat gruff comments. We all want to help you.

1 Like

Thanks…

I am really worried…

I dont even see the axes lines in my model.

As you’re on a Mac and it looks like you might be having graphic card issues, I’m going to bow out with the last suggestion that you should check that your graphic card driver is up to date.
Other Mac users should be able o offer you more advice.

1 Like

Could yo try opening it one last time?.. this last link I’ve sent you…

I am afraid we are not talking about same file…because first link I’ve sent wasn’t not the right one. :frowning:

Thanks for the advices… I will take all this in consideration for my future models…

Many thanks again for your time

I am on a Mac and your graphics card looks way more powerful than mine. I would probably struggle with a drawing as large as yours.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about which file you want us all to look at. Can you confirm which it is? Otherwise we are all wasting our time.

1 Like

Hey Simon!

I understand…this is the correct file.

Looking now.

1 Like

Once again I searched out and found the same group and deleted it. I haven’t purged anything, which I normally would do, so everything except the group that @DaveR showed you earlier is still there. I rarely use dropbox but the file is uploading now.
With my mobile connection it could take a some time.

1 Like

Try this

1 Like

OMG! You are amazing!!!

Super thanks!!!:star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

Happy that it finally works for you. But remember, if you had posted that original model the solution would have come much faster.