Max. number of groups

I have built a high rise building using Sketchup in one file. What is the max. number of group that could be in outliner. Sketchup do not allow me to group the elements .

Not sure there is a real limit. Certainly there are practical limits.

Are you giving your groups useful names? If not, Outliner is nearly worthless because all the objects have the same name.

Why not?

I have used unique name for each group, but may be due to group limit, some elements are not allowed to group at later stage. It is better I split each level in different Sketchup files and then import to one file at the final stage would give a smaller file size?

It’s hard to give you exact advice without seeing your SketchUp file.

There is not a specific limit on groups. How many groups do you have? I personally have created models with thousands of components and never seen issues with nesting.

Dear,

Below is the link of the Sketchup file. Please help to see why no further group could be done.

Regards,

Gary Lo

Which elements exactly are you trying to group? What error message are you getting?

The shadows are active in your model, do you work like this with them turned on? They will slow down your work.

Dear,

I try to draw more beams and slab and group them then it is is not allowed to group.

Regards,

Gary Lo

Dear,

The one u try to group is tower 2. In fact, the typical floor is at 4/F which are not 100% completed, but when I try to draw more beams and slab on 4/F , Sketchup does not allow me to do. But anyway, I still copy what have completed to the above floors first.

Regards,

Gary Lo

Does it give you any error message? How do you know it doesn’t work?
You could just copy one of the groups/beam and modify it as needed.

Dear,

I advise u close all the T2 framing plans except 4F, and open the T2 typical 4F to 25F framing dwg . Then try to draw new slabs according to this dwg background , Grouping this individual slab , then the create group button is grey and inactive.

Regards,

Gary Lo

Since the elements are identical and you multiply them, why do you create groups and not components?

Also, for visibility and ease of work, it would help you to use tags for the constructive elements and construction levels.

Basics of SketchUp at learn.sketchup.com - groups, components, tags.

Dear,

I’ll try it tonight at home.

Thank a lot first !

Regards,

Gary Lo

Dear,

I have tried last night and found it was OK.
However, when I tried to cut section , then the software hanged.
How to handle sections in large project.

Regards,

Gary Lo

Regarding the sections, taking into account that the model is not optimized, it is possible that sometimes you can move them more difficult.

It depends on the processor, ram memory and video card you have, and more importantly, to have a model created as well as possible and as light.
I looked at your model and there are a lot of things that should normally be corrected to have a clean model and improve your work with it.

First of all, and this depends on the accuracy of the drawing, you should have the correctly sized, joined and positioned elements.

Then, create components for all identical repeating elements, because when you’ll change one of them, the rest automatically changes as well, and the axes should be correctly oriented for each one.

Use tags for the visibility of all elements, this will make your work much easier.

It will also help you if you work with the Monochrome style active and the shadows, enable length snapping and Profiles turned off.

2 Likes

Don’t you mean “disable” length snapping?

I got caught on that too with the shadows, but it is correct. Shadows, Length snapping and Profiles are the group of things that should be turned off.

Upon reading the sentence again I think that @mihai.s does mean to turn those 3 settings off…

When I wrote the text, I thought of inserting the text ‘Enable length snapping’ (as it appears written in that window) between two single apostrophes.

Yes, the three settings, separated by commas and ‘and’ before the last one, make sense in my language, if it is different in English and you can tell me, thank you!

I should have used capital letters at the beginning of the word for each individual setting, as Box wrote well, it is much clearer and probably easier to understand without being interpretable.

Thanks!

Also in our language, Dutch. The enumeration separated by comma’s and and between the last two sugguests that there will be a verb following which applies to the subject (the enumeration of setting options). So yes, your sentence is correct. Although using capitals would have helped to avoid the misunderstanding when quickly scanning your answer.
As for your English, rest asure, you can get rid of your T-shirt with the text: “I don’t speak English”.

p.s. the word ‘Enable’ is omitted completely in the SketchUp Web version. This helps.

3 Likes