Layout too slow to use

This topic is causing me huge frustration as well.
I’m only running 2GB of graphics on an iMac, but when Sketchups system requirements only recommends 1GB of graphics memory I shocked how slow it responds.
I cannot actually control the zoom function in Layout, it zooms to far in or out before I’ve realised.
There needs to be better graphics handling in Layout… Timble… DO SOMETHING PLEASE or I will be cancelling my subscription.

1 Like

Do you think usign the latest computer for gaming w the best graphic card of all would make layout use smooth and fast ?
I’m working with an IMAC PRO, pro Vega 64x graphic card and it’s too slow for different kind of project for Housing making me losing Time… low res on sceen, spit files i did every thing…

i’m looking forward to by the Allienware i9 10900F Geforce RTX 2080Ti 11Gb… would it be enouth to work fast ???

Currently this best improvement I’ve found on the Mac is to change the colour settings.
Change the colour profile to “Generic RGB” in System Preferences and try it.
For some reason Layout can’t render in the native Mac profile.

Yes i Know i did and it’s been a little better but not enouth to be smooth… thx

Well…I’ve a GTX 1080 and the latest version of LO is slooooooooooooooowwwww…It’s really unacceptable. It’s 2020 guys! Please prioritize and work on it…we pay for it.

1 Like

I have a 2080 super and it doesnt help improve speed in layout …maybe a little. I dont think it’s a good idea to invest too much money without doing some tests first.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know. I would spend a lot to have LO more snappier!

Well, maybe the next rtx 3080 will help ??? I would pay for better use too ! Hope someone will test and say good news… :crossed_fingers:

I’m so glad this topic is gaining traction. Layout seems not to be a priority for Trimble, and it’s time they prioritized one of SketchUp’s biggest assets. Photoshop runs great on my PC and it is handling 50x the information that layout is.

3 Likes

PS processes ‘dumb’ raster data which therefore can be split over several threads/kernels, SU/LO (as e.g. Illustrator) is processing mainly vector data … which is something completely different, i.e. apples and pears.

nope, speed of modeling/drawing/display output in LO depends on the single-thread performance of the CPU only.

Fair enough.

Would it be reasonable to expect layout to run smoothly with a high end pc?

I know next to nothing about the details of how and why a program runs smoothly, but that seems like a reasonable expectation to me.

Layout until 6 months ago has always been iffy. A windows update totally messed up my setup. I changed the method of reinstalling, have not had an issue with Layout since. The change was to do a fresh install not connected to the internet. This meant I needed all important drivers on hand and installed before connecting to the internet.

depends.

On e.g. the amount and type of entities contained. As always, general statements without knowning the boundary conditions cannot be made resp. do not make much sense.

Sorry…E V E RY T H I N G else BUT LO runs as smooth as butter on my PC. Vectorworks goes like lighting, Cinema4d is faster than a Black Bird, Adobe Suite is like magic. And then there’s LO! I really have to wait two seconds for each font to type…dragging windows is like in sloooow mooootion. Dimensioning is another dimension…it’s even more sloooooow. Sorry, please Trimble, help…help. Help us! Help your silly, paying customers!

8 Likes

One TIP to Trimble: make a SU window in LO FLAT, don’t use the SU model, but make it 2D (make it stupid simple). If you want to update the content in the Window, create a command to do that…make it plain!

aaargh

can you share a file…?

Yep, that seems sensible.

I do wonder how much LO performance is restricted by needing to load in the entire SU model and make it editable inside LO.
That really isnt a necessary function in my opinion (or, it should be somethign that can be fully disabled if it does affect LO performance)

6 Likes

Agreed. Double clicking a LO viewport is useless and is one of those gotcha tricks in SU like the untagged/tag business. Why make it so accessible, when hardly anyone would use it? Not clear though if that’d speed the program up.

My main slowness is printing which requires a series of spinning beachballs to wade through (you can’t just hit the button and go have dinner–you have to be there for the next step).

I use the lowest “paper” [SIC] quality for most screen work on LO. Not sure that it helps. Then whatever I can get away with for output. I think it helps the print process to not use “best” but sometimes I have to.

2 Likes