Landscape Architect Brand New to digital 3D rendering

I am just starting my journey into digital rendering after doing hand renderings for the past 30 years. I’m an old dog trying to learn new tricks.
I am having trouble bringing AutoCAD information into Sketchup and getting started. Ideally, I would like to build a line drawing base with AutoCAD and then bring this into Sketchup. Currently, I try to bring the AutoCAD drawing in and the lines are not continuous even though they were polylines. I would like to be able to also bring in contour lines to build my model. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, John

https://learn.sketchup.com/track/3-ways-boost-your-cad-3d-workflow

1 Like

You should isolate the line work as possible prior to bringing into Sketchup. Such contours should be continuous (connected edges)–it should work., in SU.

(the edges won’t be connected as a polyline unless they are “welded” to a “curve” in SU, but they should be end to end if you’ve imported successfully.)

Once in SU you can triple click each contour (which should select all the connected edges) and “weld” into a “curve”. Not absolutely necessary but allows you to further manipulate them more easily.

If you like upload the dwg file you are trying to work with. I’ll see what it does for me. You can send it in a PM if you like.

1 Like