Importing SU stuff into paint.net

Occasionally I find myself having to import 2d drawings I made in SU into a pdf. My answer is to convert the pdf to a jpeg, and open it with paint, or paint.net, so I can clean up the plan, erase stuff, or insert SU drawings. If I try to open the jpeg in SU it has lost lots of detail ( 24 x 36) and it is difficult to do because SU sometimes wants to put a border around the object. Nor does it have the option to work with the pixels of the jpeg.

I also don’t want to redraw the whole plan into SU, though that may be a good option.

I know SU is perhaps not the best choice for 2D drawings, but it is the program I know how to use, and don’t really want an extended learning curve on a different program.

Any pointers about how to do this that you have found?

G

To get a plan from SketchUp to PDF I would send it to LayOut and annotate it there, and export directly to PDF.
As to raster image formats, with the kind of views that SketchUp creates, PNG is a better export format than JPG/JPEG. The latter is designed for photographs, and its compression algorithm creates ugly artifacts and blur when processing images with areas of uniform colour and lines.
Why in all world would you want to import SketchUp-created raster images back into SketchUp? Can’t you edit the original SketchUp “drawing” instead?

In this case, we are working off an old set of paper plans. I had them scanned into PDF, and want to alter them to suit the project, which is the addition of an elevator, reworking and covering the atrium with skylights and a roof, and converting the maids room into an exercise room. It hardly seem worth tracing the whole house, some 5 or 6 sheets, rather simply update the areas the changes are being made. Another option, paying for CAD as-builts, was ditched due to the $5k price tag.

Since I can’t edit the pdfs, I converted them to JPEGs.

I didn’t know png. files are better than JPEG, thanks.

I have a like / hate relationship with layout. Maybe I need a super computer because it tends to slow down as I add in pages, especially photographs. If I get a reference wrong it goes to hell, and there are loads of lines to the top left corner.

I am not sure how you got this idea: “Why in all world would you want to import SketchUp-created raster images back into SketchUp?” Perhaps I wasn’t clear. Sorry G

OK - I didn’t get that it was all about scanned old plans. Yes, PNG is definitely better than JPG for those.

This is because SketchUp treats raster images mainly as material textures, and it downsamples all imported images to fit in a 1024 x 1024 pixel rectangle (2048 or 4096 if you have the “use maximum texture size” box ticked in Preferenced>OpenGL). This can be circumvented with TIGs (if I remember right) Large Image Splitter extension. LayOut doesn’t have this limitation.