Important Update on a few Potential SketchUp 2017 issues on Windows

What are you to do next about what?

Since you are a hobbyist you can keep using SketchUp 2017 Make as long as your computer will run it. If it’s working for you now there’s nothing for you to do.

I’m using a Dell inspiron 15/7k series which should easily handle make '17. The indication was that there is an update for the original make '17. If I read it correctly, it indicated that it was called “M2”. so how do I update my version?

Ok. So are you having any problems?

I was in the process of developing a 3D printable model when I got a screen that indicated that I had a “BUGSPLAT” crash, and the progress that I had made is now unfindable.

why didn’t you start a new thread on this? Your first post in this thread gave no clue that you had a Bug Splat or any other problem.

Had you saved the file you were working on? If you did save it, did you look in the folder where it was saved? Did you look for the .skb backup version of the file? It should be in the same folder as the .skp file.

This is such an old thread, if you downloaded and install 2017 any time after 2017 then you have the M2 version.

I was in the middle of a new file and hadn’t gotten to a point where I should have to save the work that I was working on.

You should save as soon as you start a file and regularly throughout the process.

1 Like

As Box wrote, you should save as soon as you start a new file. If you didn’t save it, there’s probably nothing to go looking for.

OK…So what do I do now to fix whatever caused the bugsplat?

Hard to tell without knowing what caused the Bug Splat. Did you send in the Bug Splat report with your e-mail address. It might be that on Monday when colin is working he could look it up for you and give you some idea of what went wrong. In the meantime you might start a new file, save it right away and model the thing you were working on. And then save it periodically so if the Bug Splat occurs you won’t lose all of your work.

Thanks, Dave. I did report it on the BugSplat format. I did start a new file…the good news is that I was only into it for about 15-20 minutes…

With your e-mail address so they can link it to you?

Did you save this one right away?

I looked at your bugsplat. The description makes it sound like it was to do with layers that are hidden. Had you got as far as making extra layers, and changing which ones are visible?

To be sure that you’re on the latest version you could download the installer again, and have it do a repair. Here’s a direct link to the Make 2017 installer:

https://www.sketchup.com/sketchup/2017/en/sketchupmake-2017-2-2555-90782-en-x64-exe

Yes, I did it just as I opened it, thank you.

OK, I installed the Make 2017 installer. Thank you for your help!! What I’m not understanding is what I did to make extra layers and changing which ones are visible…I don’t even know what that means. Sorry to be such a dummy, but that’s not something that I’ve ever wandered into…mostly because that I don’t know what it’s for.

Don’t worry in that case, and see if doing a repair makes things be stable.

I had been experiencing problems with selecting geometry and executing some commands that should have worked, but didn’t. I thought that I was not doing things wrong, not that I wasn’t, but it was frustrating. Things seem to be running smoother now, thank you for your help !!
I have been learning SU by trial and error (mostly error, obviously), and have only recently found THE CAMPUS, which I am going to to fix my bad procedural mistakes.