Important Update on a few Potential SketchUp 2017 issues on Windows

Thanks for your words. In fact we use other software very sucessfuly , unfortunatly SU was a choice of mine, that I´m not satisfied. Yet!

In fact, if someone don´t wants to be caught by rain don´t comes out on the street.

rain is not the problem…

1 Like

I too a fan of Monty too.

1 Like

Hi, finally after long time of searching, trying and trying again, I found the solution.
In my case a Intel HD Graphics 4000 card in a Dell Latitude E6530

The correct driver by the graphics card manufacturer did not help either, because the driver is modified by the laptop manufacturer to fit the specific laptop.
Sometimes one needs to download the specific one from the laptop manufacturer, which I did.
Link below (for mine)
https://www.dell.com/support/home/za/en/zabsdt1/product-support/product/latitude-e6530/drivers

PROBLEM SOLVED

I realize this is an old topic, but this is where the response to my BugSplat report sent me.

I have been using Sketchup Make 2017 on a Win7 laptop for a few years and had been using the same version (actually, still a trial of Pro) on my brand new Win10 laptop (ASUS VivoBook) for about three weeks, when I suddenly started getting BugSplats every time I opened a model, something I’d never encountered before. It doesn’t matter whether the model was created on my old computer or the new one, and it always happens within a few minutes (or sometimes seconds) of opening the model, whether I’ve done anything to it or not. It even happens without a model open. SU Checkup says my computer meets SU’s requirements.

I sent a report the first time it happened and received a link to this post. Following various advice here, I have done the following:

• updated my graphics card drivers (I have one integrated Intel Iris Xe card and one discrete Nvidia GeForce MX350 card) via Intel Driver & Support Assistant and Nvidia’s GeForce Experience, respectively
  • selected High-performance Nvidia processor as my preferred processor for Sketchup in the Nvidia control panel (I had already done this in Windows settings)
  • uninstalled Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2015 and did a repair of SU
  • tested memory with MemTest86 (0 problems)
  • checked to see if there were any updates that might have caused this; the only updates between the last time SU worked and when it stopped were MS Office-related

I just re-read this part of your post (I had skipped it earlier because I didn’t have any problems installing SU) and when I checked Programs & Features, neither .NET nor C++ Runtime is listed. Since SU worked fine for three weeks, is it possible that these somehow got removed and that that is my problem? What should I do about it, since repairing SU apparently didn’t install them?

If SketchUp 2017 Make was working and then didn’t, you need to look at what has changed on your computer since it did work. Clearly SketchUp 2017 Make hasn’t changed since 2017 so that’s not the first place to be looking. Very likely it’s a Windows update that caused the problem. Maybe rolling windows back to when SketchUp worked would fix it.

As you can see from my post, I have been assuming the problem is with my computer, not SU. I just don’t know what it could be. SU worked last Friday, no longer worked last Saturday. If anything changed, it did so without my knowledge. There were no Windows updates installed in between, only MS Office updates. I’m not sure what you mean by “rolling Windows back”.

It isn’t unknown that a Windows update breaks things that cause applications not to run. If there had been a Windows update after the last time it worked, removing the update and rolling back to the previous state might fix it.

Since it’s apparently not a Windows update, that’s ruled out.

Do you get Bug Splats if you start a new file?

I sometimes get BugSplats just opening SU by itself, no file. I haven’t started a new file since this started happening, unless you count copying all the geometry from my most recently completed model (the only one I’ve done on this computer) into a new file and saving it. It then proceeded to splat, so that’s another one of the many pieces of advice I’ve tried in vain.

Any ideas about the .NET and C++ Runtime issue I asked about in my first post?

Do you have four monitors connected?

No. :confused: This is a laptop and I don’t even know if it’s possible to add more monitors to one.

I was asking because your crash report made it seem like there were four displays being detected, all showing as Intel.

You could try running the SketchUp installer again, and let it repair the existing installation. It may not have to do anything to fix the SketchUp files, but it should reinstall the Microsoft libraries that are needed.

That’s weird! My device manager only shows two Display Adapters (Intel and Nvidia) and one monitor (Generic PnP). How could the report have been showing four monitors? Would it be including our local network (my brother has several monitors)?

As I said in my first post, one of the things I’d tried was a repair of SU. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling about 45 minutes ago, and it has splatted about five times since then. I’m assuming there’s no point in sending a report every time.

Programs & Features still does not list either .NET or C++ Runtime, although clicking “Turn Windows Features On or Off” shows .Net Framework 3.5 not selected, but under .Net Framework 4.8 Advanced Services > WCF Services, only TCP Port Sharing is selected. I have no idea if any of that is relevant.

You could look in Add or Remove Programs, and search the list to see if the C++ things show up.

Or try Microsoft’s installer:

https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/VC_redist.x64.exe

I believe “Add or Remove Programs” is now called “Programs & Features” (or “Apps & Features”, depending on whether you go through Control Panel or Settings) on Win10, isn’t it? That’s where I’ve been looking. Although there are several versions of the MS Visual C++ Redistributable, C++ Runtime (which @ty_s said SU should have installed) does not show up.

I don’t know what I should be installing.

SketchUp installs the Visual Studio C++ 2015-2019 version, and the Microsoft link I gave should install that same version.

Now that you found the list of C++ redistributables, you could click on the 2015-2019, as if you were going to uninstall, then choose Modify, and let it do a repair.

I checked, and it does seem to be called App & features now. I still get to it by searching for the word “add”.

OK, I was skeptical, but that actually worked!! I would have thought that some of my previous steps (repairing/reinstalling SU) would have fixed that.

I’m getting the impression that these VS C++ redistributables are the same thing as the C++ Runtime ty_s was talking about and that the lack of .NET is actually not an issue. Is that correct?

Anyway, no more splats!! Thanks for the help.

OK, for the dummies that still use 2017 make, exactly what am I to do next? I want to maintain the free-version of SU.