I can see only back faces!

I did reported this problem with last three updates but anybody replied about it…

I did report it 2x now, no reply from them…

same here man! good thing you got the 5900X, I ran out of stock, so I go for 3900xt one… I hope that someone from SketchUp team would help’s us to contact AMD, I guess that they would not listen from some regular customers complaint… :sob:

Do you mean the 6800XT GPU? The 5900X is my AMD CPU- too many numbersl/ letters to keep track of! I wanted to get a 6800XT GPU, but no go as Micro Center had only 2 available at initial launch on Nov. 18th, usa.

I’m currently in contact w/ the AMD tech folks, so I’ll be sure to update on progress- I’m hoping to hear back from them today.

1 Like

do you have some positive news ?

helo Colin

is there something new from sketchup team about this amd open gl problem ?

This isn’t a problem for SketchUp to solve. It’s a problem for AMD to solve.

I sent AMD Tech Support a follow up msg. earlier this week after sending them a bio of my computer on Dec. 7th. I still haven’t heard a peep from them. Very poor customer service! All I want is a simple “we’re working on it” or “we’ll be in touch”. I was hoping for a better experience w/ AMD considering I invested a lot of time, effort and $$ building my new workstation w/ their stuff. The only thing keeping me going at the moment is that Enscape corrects the incomplete faces. It would be interesting to know how many other folks are experiencing this issue? Perhaps it’s similar to the 5800x CPU where apparently some chips got a bad batch of silicon (or something to that effect) and are running hot? Maybe only a small percentage of the 6800’s have the SU issue?

well from my knowledge are affected all 6800 rx series and now 6900 series too video cards
this is pure drivers problem or what i know from yesterday its lack of opengl support from amd and this is very embarrassing for me , but 5700 series amd video cards has this support after long while and its made with new 7nm TSMC technology so i think they will add 100% opengl support for 6800 series too .
but what bugs me quite alot in todays drivers is : open gl 4.6 support and sketchup needs open gl 3.2 or highier so this leads me to think sketchup team must do some help too , to understand where is the core of the problem here .

This discussion has been going on for as long as I have been using SketchUp (since v.3.0). The SketchUp team cannot write display drivers.

SketchUp requires full OpenGL support. Graphics card manufacturers advertise OpenGL support when they have successfully tested some popular OpenGL-dependent games that typically do not use all the features a 3D modelling application needs. Making SketchUp less GPU-dependent would reduce performance.

During my years of SketchUp use I have used computers with AMD, Nvidia and Intel graphics. They all have had intermittent driver problems, but in my experience, in the latest 10 years or so, Nvidia has the edge in reliability and it also seems to have a longer lifespan of support for their legacy hardware.

2 Likes

full opengl support what is it ? because all i know is that funny number 4.6 opengl from amd drivers
thats why i am asking devs for a help to BEDUG this problem and point it out where to look .
btw : i still not found any brand based sketchup minimal hardware configuration which video card will be ok ish , all that say is open gl 3.2 support or highier and 4 gb of video ram .

I have not the slightest idea what the exact OpenGL features that work incorrectly in AMD-s drivers with the graphics cards discussed in this thread. If the drivers were really deficient with unsupported function calls SketchUp would probably crash so probably this is a problem between the driver and the specific hardware. More info about OpenGL:

https://www.opengl.org/

funny fact : i have no opengl problems

screen here : opengl-warnings-2018

As said: Reading this thread, I understand that the driver works OK with other AMD graphics cards than the ones mentioned here.

ok i just download openGL extension viewer and now i can see how many extensions my current drivers support
there are some unsupported extensions , here is the screen :

can i ask for sketchup support team to say if those unsupported extensions are THAT problem ?

Are those checkboxes different versions of OpenGL, and if you uncheck them, will the board only use the earlier versions of OpenGL features?

If that’s the case, you could try turning off a lot of the recent ones. SketchUp only needs 3.1, and I wonder if later OpenGL does something differently.

I don’t think this will be the answer, given that 4.6 has been around for three years, you would think the problem would have come up before. But it may be worth a try.

I’m trying to find out who at SketchUp is best to think about the 6800 problems, and to answer your question.

I understand that that is only an inspection application. However, I understand that the same driver version works OK with other AMD graphics cards than the models discussed.

That I know off, all of the front face missing reports are from users of the new 6800 board, so something is different with it. I agree with your reasoning that if the same driver works on other boards it ought to work on this one.

I have that same problem. Amd 6800xt, amd 5900x.

I finally received a response from AMD tech support after providing them w/ my computer BIO on Dec. 7th. The email asked me to answer (7) questions and provided my w/ a link- I’m assuming it was questions related to the GPU issue, but who knows maybe it’s a survey, nonetheless the hotlink didn’t work, even w/ a cut & past in the URL! Has AMD’s customer support been this poor all along? Based on issues above, and there non-response to me/ everyone, I’m dumping the 6800 and getting an Nvidia RTX 3080 as soon as I can.