How to scale a drawing?

Same issue with me too Jim.
I thought I was missing something really simple…I did a takeoff on a clients new parts department at a Nissan dealership and tried to set my scale to 1/8" = 1 foot…didn’t work.
I had to draw my rectangles to represent shelving units, draw the dimensions and then go into the dimension box and reset it from 1:1 to 1/8"…then set to architectural and then to units.
If this is what I have to do every time (versus actually drawing in the scale I want to set for the whole page…■■■■!)
I’m still testing out the trial version and maybe I’ll see or learn how to make drawing easier from the get go.

The whole point of having SketchUp and LayOut is that you draw in SketchUp at full scale and in LayOut, create the scaled and other views as needed. Trying to do it all in LayOut is just flat out working too hard.

Thank you Dave!
When I went to school for engineering we didn’t have computers…everything was on the prehistoric drafting tables!
I suppose when I’m working with a large warehouse, I’d need to choose a large paper style to fit items in a 1:1 scale…in SketchUp instead of Layout? Then do the print at a set scale?
OK…my brain just digested your point…and I get it!
Thanks again…

No. You don’t set a scale in SketchUp. You just draw. If your wall is 12 feet long, you just draw it 12 feet long. There’s no paper in SketchUp. It’s a model space. It’s as big as you’ll need it to be.

If you need a scaled floor plan, create a scene in SketchUp with the top view selected and the camera set to Parallel Projection. When you get to LayOut, use that scene for a viewport and set the scale to 1/8"=1 foot or whatever you want it to be.

Yes…I get it.
The “model view” is simply “creating”…take that to Layout and set your scale.
It’s easier than I thought…

That’s basically it.

I think SU/LO has a unique strength in its ability to easily communicate information in various forms. Although some thought is required to effectively manage 3D graphic data and 2D engineering/architectural design data, it is achieved in the judicious creation of scenes depicting required information where pertinent. A complete model can contain full architectural and engineering data. A specific scene can be created to show the HVAC layout, while another scene shows the power and lighting layout, and yet another identifies the spatial layout in plan form or as section or elevation.

The only drawback in my view, is that each design discipline is typically performed by a different consultant, each of whom may not be using SU as the primary software for conveying the design. The scenario I am discussing works best obviously when most of the design and engineering functions are performed either in the same shop or developed where each entity is using SU/LO in a coordinated effort.

The same statement is true regardless of what software (or other method) the various players use.

True. But this sort of emphasizes the point I was trying to make in my response to @spmcgill81 (that all disciplines can be shown in a well developed SU model).

This train of thought has hijacked this thread, so would it be prudent to move the most recent comments to a new topic thread?

Jvleearchitects – I am fully aware I could spend extreme amounts of time modeling different mechanical elements of certain jobs, but this becomes more data/ layer/ and scenes to manage, which equates to time. I do not get paid by the hour, and this is not always the most productive or efficient way to communicate, and that is my goal, For all parties to be privy to all aspects of the project that relate to their trade with minimal effort on my part.

If I was to spend the time modeling plumbing, this would not communicate the scope of work to my plumber as he has no access or desire to access the model. If I used said model to form CDs, my township would not accept them as a plumbing diagram for permits. That make such a task a waste of time.

My response of several months ago did not imply that one should provide impractical design data. Each practicing professional determines the extent of detail required for his or her purpose. Obviously, a small design or engineering entity will develop models showing only those elements involved in the specific discipline, however when multiple disciplines are involved, it is possible to provide salient information within the model.

I merely indicated that, with some degree of forethought and coordination, SketchUp models may be developed in such a way that the work of each design discipline can be accurately depicted (including MEP/HVAC, should that be desired). This process is most effective with each individual A/E discipline making its own coordinated contribution. This is the concept of BIM as manifested in other design softwares such as Revit, ACAD, Vectorworks, etc.

Most municipalities have yet to embrace using 3D models to review building permit applications, however, many are adopting the process of electronic plans review. Typically such documents are provided to the municipality in pdf format, so any design software can be employed. This means that it is even more feasible now than ever to submit condocs (with engineering data included) for review with SU/Layout.

The thing is that Sketchup is as powerful at 2D as it is at 3D.

I draw my 2D drawings all in sketchup and use Layout to dimension them, insert leader and text, page them and print them.

However Sketchup isn’t a good drafting tool if you require linestyles so this sort of task must be performed in Layout…

And Layout is very inneficient at drafting.

Now the discussion as come a long way and I’m a bit late to the party, but even if we live in a 3D world, 2D drawings are there for a reason.

Also, you don’t write in 3D.

A project is a mix of information and knowing when it requires 3D or when it requires 2D is not as easy as it seems.

Layout+SU combo is an excellent way of presenting 3D models. That’s what I love about it, it’s also capable of presenting 2D models, wich I also find very useful, however, having hybrid information, wich is standard and requires necessarily that you draft in LO is dreadfull in the LO+SU workflow.

This is mainly for the following reasons:

• Lack of speed on the conversion, handling and management of 3D viewports from complex sketchup models;
  • Sketchup’s inability to produce linestyles other than color and width in vector mode wich demands drafting in LO;
  • LO’s unintuitive and inacurate aproach to 2D drawing methods though they look good (when you’re finally done with it);
  • Finally the hard to use CAD exports wich don’t facilitate on the drafting side of things or even on the integration of LO+SU as a complete solution for the AEC workflow.

SU+LO combo would nail the market altogether if any of the above would be fixed or revamped somewhere on these lines:

• Instant loading of complex models into viewports (I’ve suggested this);
  • Complete Linestyle ability inside sketchup;
  • Drafting intuitivelly with Layout (I’d love that LO would emulate standard SU drawing and modification tools)
  • Perfect CAD exports.

Hi there…wading in rather late on this but having some of the issues that were previously discussed here.

I’ve taken the advice given in that I’ve drawn up in SU on 1:1. I’ve selected top view/parallel projection and sent to LO opting for A1 Landscape. So far, so good.

However, I’m on a Mac and, as was mentioned early in the post but not clarified, I do not see where I can select ‘Fit to Page’. I’ve looked under File/Documention Setup as recommended but still can’t find the option. Trying to make my drawing 1:100. Any pointers greatly appreciated!

There isn’t a Fit to Page box to check/uncheck on Mac.

Since you have SketchUp Pro, just send the SKP to LayOut and set up the scale there. You have no need to screw around with adjusting the drawing window space or making settings in the Print setup. Insert the file in LO and set the scale for the viewport. Export as PDF for printing. That way anyone can print it to scale, too.

Hi Dave - I’m trying to figure how to set the scale - I’d (incorrectly) assumed that I needed to ‘Fit to page’ and then the following steps on how to set the scale would become apparent. Are you able to explain what I should be doing here please?

Actually perhaps I’m all set. Used Preferenes/Scales and selected 1:100 there. I guess I just need to tell the repro house to print 1:100? WIll this change the look dramatically? I want to have a panel down the right hand side with some text in and am keen that this comes out clearly.

Since you refer to Preferences>Scales, I assume you are using LayOut. If you set the viewport to the scale you want and export as a PDF, tell the repro house to print it without scaling.

Thank you

In Layout 2016 I can’t get the scale to work. It keeps defaulting to “current scale” or something inappropriate. And the “preserve scale on resize” doesn’t work. I can’t find a manual for 2016 or any up to date tutorials.

Is the camera set to Parallel Projection for the scene you created in SketchUp?