How to get HtmlDialog to resize without flicker?

When you create a resizable dialog and begin resizing, the window fluctuates between redrawing html and showing a blank grey window. If you resize the window quickly (move the mouse fast) you get the blank grey window. If you resize slower, the window constantly repaints but it’s not smooth. It flickers in between your html content and the blank grey window.

I’m running Windows 10, SU 2017 Make. Using a simple example of html dialog showing the chromium version:

wd = UI::HtmlDialog.new(
                {
                  :dialog_title => "ChromeEmbeddedFramework",
                  :style => UI::HtmlDialog::STYLE_DIALOG
                })
            wd.set_url('chrome://flags/')
            wd.show

Is there a way to make the resizing show your html content without the flickering?

I see this also on SU2018 with a GTX1060. Both the WebDialog and HtmlDialog windows have always flickered for me in all versions of SketchUp, on Windows XP, 7 and 10.

Never thought about trying to tweak so they don’t.

BTW, that is the version page. The CEF doesn’t seem to want to display the flags page.

Thanks for confirming that your experience has been the same. I tested my html code in my browser and the window resizing is nice a smooth, no flickering. So, I wasn’t sure if this was being caused by SU or chromium, and whether there was some flag that could be set to resolve it.

I run Windows 10 with Nvidia.

SU 2017 WebDialog - does not flicker but is 4 times slower than WebDialog
SU 2017 HTMLDialog - flickers

SU 2018 WebDialog - does not flicker but is 4 times slower than WebDialog
SU 2018 HTMLDialog - flickers

SU 2019 WebDialog - does not flicker but is 4 times slower than WebDialog
SU 2019 HTMLDialog - does not flicker

The Application Release Notes for 2019.0 report 2 fixes re window redraw flickering in the “Miscellaneous” section …

• (Win) Fixed an issue in which tray dialogs would flicker when resized.

• (Win) Fixed an issue in which 3D Warehouse and Extension Warehouse dialogs would flicker when resized.

Since the 3D Warehouse and EW windows are Html dialogs there should be a fix if running v2019 and above.

@MaschMaker, I just tested on 2019 and the flicker is gone.

Part of the updates from previous version (2018) was upgrading the CEF to 64.0.3282.119 from 56.0.2924.76. (FYI, in v2017 the CEF is likley 52.0.2743.24.)

So it looks as though you’d need to become a paying customer to get the fix in the most recent release.