How to extrude imported files

How do I extrude imported files? I’m working on a window display design with the purpose of selling books, and have imported the author’s signature into SketchUp, in the hope of being able to make the signature stand up from the ‘page’. I will be 3D printing the signature, and it will be attached to the front of the window, looking as though the signature is protruding from the window.

I have learnt how to extrude shapes and text created in SketchUp with the push/pull tool, but this tool doesn’t seem to allow me to work with an imported file (I have tried jpeg and psd file types).

This must be doable, any advice to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

You will have to convert the image of the signature to a vector format so then you can import to a program where in can be extruded. This tutorial shows “how to” for blender and shows how to use inkscape to covert to svg ( scalable vector graphic). Blender-Converting 2D Image to 3D Object - YouTube You may have to convert again to get into format your version of SU can import

You can import the signature as png with a transparent background and use image trimmer (TIG, SketchUp Plugins | PluginStore | SketchUcation) to create the contour.

Thank you both- very helpful. It’s taken me a while, but I’ve got there now!

I just made a How-To for this type of workflow this morning! Do you have Illustrator? If not private message me and I could create the model for you. It takes about a minute to do.

– Matt