How to create architectural visuals efficiently?

Exactly!

To make the masking job in Photoshop a little easier, you can:

1. With the Matchphoto scene selected, hit the plus sign to make a new scene that’s a copy of it.
  2. Set that copy of the scene to a new style that has match photo background turned off.
  3. Output a TIFF or PNG of that scene at the resolution of the photo.
  4. With some manipulation in Photoshop, you can import that into your picture and turn it into a mask.
1 Like

Thank you.

I managed to create this in just a few minutes which I am pretty happy with. The projected textures are now replaced with the original photo so the house is now crystal clear.

The problem is that as I look closely I see other areas to improve (i.e. I need to choose a clearer glass material) which is probably a never ending circle. In all seriousness, I can now create a decent visual for a client in a fraction of the time I used to take using Photo Match which is brilliant.

Thanks for you help.

3 Likes

that’s a beautiful rendering. Who did that? Sketchup+Vray+Photoshop?

Cheers William.

It was created in Sketchup using Photo Match then rendered in VRay. Photoshop was used to replace the projected textures from Photo Match with the original photo as the textures from Photo Match appeared to have relatively low resolution.

1 Like

This is the workflow I need to master in my practice. Will pay for consulting if you have time

In Thea render it is possible to have material projected by camera. What it means is that the whole material of the model where textures are projected can be replaced by the high resolution photo, instead of the downgraded projected textures.

I bet Vray can do that too and that would allow you to avoid Photoshop.

@pyroluna ?

Thats a fabulous feature in Thea, and one that would suit my workflow in Vray perfectly if it exists, but sadly I don’t think it does.

I think it might be possible but complicated to set up.
You’d have to set projection type to screen… #challengeaccepted - I’ll be back

That was easier than I’d anticipated, but with some unexpected side effects.
Simply apply a material with a texture to any object and set it’s texture’s parameters as follows:
Texture placement> Type: Environment, Mapping: Screen

This same texture can be inserted in the background if you want the background to match, but it will likely be too dark for the render, so up it’s intensity to 10 or 20 with default camera aperture. You might not want to use this image for lighting the render, so set a sky into the other slots for settings > Environment.

Regardless, a strange effects occurs on the ground, which is an indirect reflection of the block itself. This reflection, too, follows screen mapping. I’m not sure if and how this can be mitigated except for picking a black floor…