How do I save an entity I made to reuse for later?

Hello, I’m very new to sketchup. I created an itemthat I’d like to save with a specific name and be able to retrieve later and use on future projects. I’m having trouble figuring out the best way to save it and make it a retrievable item. How would I go about doing this? I’m on SketchupPro for iPad https://9apps.ooo/.

On iPad, a couple of ways at the moment.

No internet - You can always save it in its own model locally in the iPad and copy/paste out of that model into your new one whenever you need it.

Internet - you can save it in its own model that you publish to Trimble connect and do the same with it, but at that point you might as well just upload a version of the model to your 3D warehouse page and download directly into your model via one of the warehouse buttons.

I would like to say I’m efficient and I do the warehouse thing, but in all honesty I have a couple of locally saved models that I pop in and out of regularly. :grin:

Would you be so kind as to walk me through the steps of saving a model in the IPad… I cant find the button (or know what it looks like) to save :upside_down_face:

Have a look at the section, “Working with SketchUp files”.

Getting Started | SketchUp Help

SketchUp for iPad 34videos by the SU crew.

1 Like

They simply say hit the home screen and it will ask if you would like to save changes. I guess adding scenes doesn’t count as a significant change to prompt that warning? It won’t let me save a simple scene add

I’m sorry that I can’t be of much help on this. Perhaps the info in the scenes panel about adding scenes is what you need?

Scenes Panel | SketchUp Help

1 Like

I’m sure I’ll stumble upon something. Thank you!

@KeeneArchitecture It sounds like you’re looking for this one.

@moryasena If I understand your question, it sounds like you might be asking about functionality that exists on Desktop to save out a separate component from your project, as its own SketchUp file (and then perhaps reload a newer version of that component back into your project at some future date)?
If so, the Save As and Reload features are not yet available in SU for iPad, but they’re definitely on the list!
In the meantime, as we work on those, the not-as-awesome workaround would be to copy the stuff that you want to save out as a separate file, then close the project file that you’re in, then create a new file, and paste into that new file, which you can then save to the Home Screen and rename.

I cant get that button to appear no matter how many changes I make :confused:

Can you check the Apple App store to see if there’s a new version of the app available for you to install?

You kind of can with the insert command and pick another SketchUp file:

I exploded a component into a new file and saved it, then inserted it into another file. The Definition Name isn’t what the SketchUp file name was, and I don’t know how you control other component attributes like gluing or cutting, but it does say it’s a component. I wonder about component files made with desktop and then transferred to the iPad.