How can I connect two curved lines together?

curved line - thanks for the help! .skp (498.0 KB)
Hi everyone. I have 2 separated curves that I would like to connect with a curve.

I know the arc tool might help me but I am not sure how to use to complete the curve. I appreciate your help!

1 Like

Can you share the .skp file so we can see exactly what you’ve got?

Are you trying to close the gap along the rim? Maybe copy/rotate some of the edge segments around to cross the gap.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response. I’ve uploaded the file! Thanks in advance!!

1 Like

Open the group containing the rest of that frame for edit and use the the arc tool to draw across that gap using the midpoint of the bottom as the center:

fill_arc

1 Like

What Steve shows will work. I used Rotate/Copy as I described to make a copy of a number of the existing edge segments in place. This keeps all of the segments the same length.
Screenshot - 3_1_2022 , 10_50_29 AM

It kind of looks like this model could use some other refinement. It’s evident that you started with a 2D drawing of the window. Did you draw the entire thing in SketchUp or import a CAD file?

1 Like

Thank you so much!!! This also worked. Yes you are right, it needs some fixing. I’ve imported the drawings from AutoCAD but created lines in SketchUp on top of the AutoCAD drawings then deleted them. I appreciate it!

1 Like

This is perfect. I do appreciate your help!

It looks to me as if you would have benefitted from modeling the parts separately (and avoid applying textures until the geometry is complete) so that you don’t loose the top of the window arech to the keystone on the frame.

1 Like

Thanks for your advice!! I just started learning SketchUp not for long and got excited to apply textures right away. I’ll keep that for future work! Thank you…

1 Like

@DaveR 's method (as he noted) has the advantage of assuring that the arc segments are the same length as in the rest of the arc (assuming of course that this was true in the rest).

In mine the segment length used by the new arc might be different, since this Tool only lets you set the number of segments in the arc, not their length. Depending on what you want from the model, this might or might not matter.

When applying @DaveR 's method be careful to select a set of segments away from the gap and to rotate them to align with a known vertex in the non-gap part of the arc, since it is difficult to be sure without checking edge lengths whether the key cut the arc at vertices or partway across some segment edge.

1 Like