Holes and hollowing

Hello sketchup people! I’m new here. I’m trying to hollow and cut a model. I’m using this model . Nintendo DS Lite White by TimX24968B - Thingiverse What i’m trying to do is something like this Imgur: The magic of the Internet . I’m using sketchup to cut the holes for the buttons and screen. Then I bring it into Meshmixer to make it hollow. When I import it into Sli3r, the object is no longer hollow. And it failed to open in pronterface the one time I got it to stay hollow in Sli3r.

Well that is really easy to make. So why are you working so hard by putting Meshmixer and two different slicers into the mix?

Just draw it in SU then export straight to STL. Sli3er and Pronterface do the same thing so once it is in STL then use either Pronterface or Slicer but not both. Now it is exactly half as complicated. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a difference between a hollow and solid model and the cost of printing a hollow model could be 10x or more of solid.
See this link https://www.sculpteo.com/en/tutorial/prepare-your-model-3d-printing-solidworks/modeling-3d-printing-solidworks/ They will hollow for free so they state.