Ho Hum after more than 12 months...that's all a dash line?

I have read many are very unhappy with SU 2019 lack lustre upgrade and myself included I have had a Pro Licence since 2003.

It’s not the money as I am a professional, it’s the lack of new improvements, innovations…I mean after you go on all the sleepless nights, the cups of coffee, the hard work, the playing of nerf ball…please don’t go on about your self perceived coolness when you produce a minor improvement.

I am afraid you have missed the mark bigtime…so we get dashed line ( the re was a plug in for that ) are you serious??? I think that last years 2018 Maintenace money was spent on you playing nerf ball and keeping you in employment. Perhaps you should stop patting yourselves on the back for a very mediocre result and get on with innovation. SU 2019 is very much a let down and yes like Apple the people start to wise up that companies that produce mediocre improvements start to suffer. I will for now stay with 2018 as the upgrade is not worth the hassle of upgrading all my plug ins…see there is an area you did nothing about?? An easy transition to bring over the plug ins…there is so much improvement needs attention…stop acting like your cool dudes and focus on producing a far superior product please.

Oh yeah that right now I can see how long a line is…whooohoo, the big second improvement.

If you can’t think of what to improve perhaps look at what the end users are requesting on their wish lists.
You mybe surprised the list is vast.

Cheers Steve

Sketchup gone subscription?

Hi Steve,

If you’re only interested in features in the SketchUp Pro desktop modeling app, then I can understand why you would feel like you’re not getting a ton of new stuff in 2019. It is easy to miss the performance/stability improvements or the myriad of small nits that get attention in the UI with every release. They are tough to quantify, and so we don’t market them very heavily.

What I hope you won’t miss, because it is really the big news in this release, is the integration of products and services outside of the traditional core SketchUp modeling experience. The SKetchUp modeler is really just one piece in a much larger system now. A system which we’ve been building up for years with our colleagues across the Trimble Buildings group. The integration with Trimble Connect, 3D Warehouse and our myriad of VR and AR Viewer applications. We’re built an entirely new ecosystem here, and I think you’ll be surprised with how much you can really do with it now.

I’m glad to hear SU 2018 still meets your needs, and for you there’s perhaps nothing interesting in our ecosystem yet. We’re in this for the long haul, though, so be sure to check back.

john

I have to say, that the zooming issue I am experiencing with running Layout 2018 on a very powerful brand new iMac running OS Mojave has not been resolved, and there has been no improvement. Layout 2019 has exactly the same issue.

That is the only thing I wanted sorting, but it means I can not use Layout on my iMac, and have to use Layout on my 2015 MacBook Pro under OS High Sierra.

See this is the very thing I am on about, the products are buggy and yes you mention VR / AR . Warehouse and Trimble Connect…but get the core of the product right.

Switch to Blender, and 2.8 soon. Its free, will always be free and is the fastest growing 3d community. I unfortunately use SketchUp for work and can’t drop it completely. But I wholeheartedly agree with all your points…

Thanks for your reply John and yes I will stay with SU 2018 even with its Bug Splats when trying to quit.
Whilst you are building a Ecosystem just don’t forget we professionals who use this product every day want everyday improvements, like in a car while you are tinkering around with the engine playing mechanics and telling us the virtues off what you are doing, we want better seats, better ergonomics in the cabin, safety features , we want the car to be more enjoyable, not just nuts and bolts. It’s those things that sell a car and the things we see value for. Like SU and particular LO in the real world LO is an extremely important product and frankly SU is somewhat not as useful on its own. LO is an important way we can communicate our designs for others to build.

I just don’t understand. Isn’t Sketchup Pro the main reason people use your services? Fast workflow and pretty easy to understand?

I’ve been happily paying the update, maintainance and service fee for many years now, but I have to say this is it. Today it feels like a break up. I am no longer prioritized. A relationship whether it is a business or otherwise goes both ways, and the trust is not there anymore.

Also another point which would have been a great improvement in the real world of 3D. Circles and curves in SU are made from straight edges, yet Adobe Illustrator has perfect smooth curves?

Fusion 360 has beautiful smooth curves all suited to say CNC cutting files, but SU has this very clunky IU and yet it seems the team at SU think this is acceptable???

There are so many real world improvements it’s crazy, I like to point out an observation I once had of Apple. Apple was very creative in coming up with a iphone …easy to use, etc etc…then people would sleep out awaiting the new product with fists full of dollars…now frankly this is a manufactures dream.

Then Apple was run by a CEO mentality and a corporate mentality…give the punters a trickle of innovation each year and we have them hooked. Slowly the overnight lines died down to nothing, mediocre innovation was hyped by sooth sayers on stage. And now many look to another manufacturers with innovations and Apple sales start to become lack lustre and production is cut. Thats because they are now too corporate for good innovation, nothing to excite the buyers with fistful of dollars, why because the “buying public” yes us the ones with the money wanted cooler devices, new designs, lateral thinking, prestige …so I hope this is not where SU is heading by not listing to peoples wish lists and you setting your own perceived agenda of Ecosystems…I will leave this great story.

A manufacturer was talking on a plane to an advertising exec, who said " How can I make products that people want to buy ? "…the ad man replied “Why that’s easy, make them what they want !” and here in lies the corporate issues of companies NOT listening to their customers, but telling the customers what they will have not what they want.

I sentiments entirley !!! Well said they are telling us not listening and as you and I know we want real innovation to make our day to day tasks better and easier, that way we make more money and very happy enough to pay more for a product that keeps delivering.

Well John that may well explain what your doing, but it does not excuse SU for not delivering a better product for us the everyday consumer.

It is somewhat surprising to hear that your SU2015 build of LayOut performs faster than the SU2019 build. Can you share more information about this so we can reproduce your experience in our testing lab? Have you done a side-by-side comparison with the same document on the same hardware?

As I said, we address core performance, stability and usability issues in our core product with every release. In fact, that same core product is now available (in different forms) on macOS, Windows, iOS, Android and natively in your web browser… with the addition of a wide variety of different AR/VR platforms thrown in for good measure.

If there are specific bugs you’re experiencing that we haven’t addressed, I’m always keen to hear about them in more detail. It can sometimes feel like they are totally obvious, but without knowing exactly how you are configured it can be tough to know what you’re experiencing.

For convenience, here’s something I posted in the thread “20 Reasons to consider learning Blender” thread:

Thanks, Steve- I think about just this every single day. And for that reason, we (as a team) always try to maintain a balance of work on core performance, basic usability and new features. In this release cycle, most of those new features are in products and services that surround SketchUp rather than being implemented in the core application.

I’m particularly pleased that you see the value in LayOut, expanding from our core modeling usability principles into the world of 2D drafting and presentation graphics. We spent more time improving LayOut in the last three releases than most folks seem to have noticed :wink:

The more I think about this, the more I’m thinking that this is, for me anyway, a very disappointing update.

From my perspective, I can’t believe that pretty much all of the various feature requests I’ve read over the last year or so have been ignored, apart from dashed lines.

It is certainly no update/upgrade for me. The zooming issue in Layout, the ONLY issue I have, has not been resolved.

But, then there’s features such as being able to dimension a circle or arc in Layout with either a radius or diameter. Why has that not been added? Different Dimension Styles? What about aligning the tool operations in Layout with the way the tools work in Sketchup? What about sorting out the Rotate tool in Layout? What about components in Layout? To name a few.

To me, it seems there has been no improvements at all. I don’t understand what Trimble has been doing. VR/AR, great, but what about improving the actual product? I also don’t understand ‘Unlimited Cloud Storage’. This would imply to me that Trimble have infinite storage facilities. Seems a big claim when most other Cloud storage facilities have limits.

Anyway, for now, I’ll be sticking with 2018. It’s stable on my system and works well, (apart from Layout zoom on my iMac). Just hope Trimble continue the support for 2018.

Mike

It is certainly the case that most folks come to SketchUp because they are frustrated with the inflexibility and complexity of other 3D modeling applications, but modeling alone doesn’t keep them.

To be really efficient designers need a context to present their models and collaborate with others on a team. That’s the sort of thing we’re working on with LayOut, 3D Warehouse and Trimble Connect— as well as with our new line of VR viewers.

Hi @jbacus

It’s not Sketchup 2015, it’s the fact that Layout performs better on my 2015 MacBook Pro i7 2.2GHz 16GB RAM Machine running High Sierra than on my new 2018 iMac i7 4.2 GHz 40GB RAM machine running Mojave. I’m running Sketchup Pro 2018 on both machines. Tried Sketchup 2019 on my iMac and absolutely no difference.

Mike

It may be that none of the features we built into the SketchUp desktop client appeal to you this year, and if so you are of course welcome to continue using SU2018 as long as you wish. If you are active in your Maintenance and Support, you are entitled to an upgrade to SU2019 and can install it or not as you wish. It is probably worth dong so if for no reason other than getting access to our latest performance and reliability improvements.

Unlimited cloud storage is something we can offer because we’ve been pretty careful with our business model. Practically speaking, the cost of cloud storage capacity isn’t what makes a difference to that model (rather, it is the cost of bandwidth and/or the application development work to make it accessible to you).

All I want is for Layout zoom to be fixed.

There is no “one fits all” app, that’s for sure. The extra functions are at best “neat”, but not much more than that to me.

In an everlasting battle against time on projects, Sketchup was for a long time, and still is in some ways a god-send. Sketchup needs to keep up with the times, there is a lot of things happening in 3D. To see the yearly investment put in all places but the main application is discouraging to say the least.

To put it in context I’m a garden designer, I use Sketchup for the “layout” and hardscape. Blender, xfrog (and some other small apps) for plants, rocks, landscape. And Lumion for putting it all together to a rendered result.