Helical Staircases and Balustrades

Hi to All,

Can someone help me about how to model a Helical staircase and Balustrade in Sketchup?

Which kind of extensions do I need?
What is the best-simplest way?

Thank you,
D

You can do it with the native tools.
Plugins could make it easierā€¦

Helical Stairs [often incorrectly, but very commonly, known as ā€˜Spiral Stairsā€™] have to follow a set of interacting rules - varying by building-type, country and area - but many rules are common.
You need to check your local building-codes - no plugin is going to do everything for you.

So letā€™s assume that you establish that for your building/area the minimum width is 1000mm, the maximum taper of a tread is 15Ā°, and the rules say the ā€˜goingā€™ mid-tread is 250mm and the minimum going at the center is 50mm, and the treads should overlap by 25mm, and other rules say the ā€˜riseā€™ needs to be perhaps 170mm [this depends on the going and the total rise etc]ā€¦

You now have everything needed to make a component tread.
Draw out the constraints using the modelā€™s origin as the componentā€™s center.
Add 3d thickness to the tread etc.
Lift the treadā€™s geometry up by the ā€˜riseā€™.

Exit the edit-modeā€¦
Use the Rotate tool on the component-instance, press Ctrl to instigate ā€˜copyā€™ and rotate the copy 15Ā°.

Move the copy up by the ā€˜riseā€™.

Check that the treads relate to each other as you expect.

Now you can use Rotate+Ctrl to copy the two selected treads by 30Ā°.
Move them up by 2xrise.

Now repeat with the four, and Move up 2xrise etcā€¦

Repeat until you have the required number of treads in 3dā€¦

Now you have a set of radially array treads, each stepping up by the ā€˜riseā€™.

You can edit a tread and add some baluster posts and a sloping piece of handrail around a 3d-arc - look at followme etc.
If you hide the end edges of the rail theyā€™ll fit together nicely with their siblingsā€¦

The first and last treads will probably each need ā€˜make-uniqueā€™ and then editing to form different handrail forms bottom/top etcā€¦

Stairs are one of the most complex things to design and get right - ā€˜spiralā€™ ones are perhaps evn worse !

You can try ā€œ1001 bit toolā€ too. Take a look no YouTube :+1:t2:

My StairMaker plugin will do curved stairs, spirals etc.

1 Like

Hi TIG,

Thank youā€¦ but actually my focus was more on how to have an helical solid balustrade (e.g.)ā€¦

I guess it is a sort of loft function (?) just weird is not normally included in a modelling program?

Hi Eduardo,

1001 bit tool looks greatā€¦ but sadly it seems there are no versions for SKup 2017 :frowning: only up to 2015 version (?!)

1 Like

Hi gkernan,

where is you extension, do you have a link? Is it freeware?

His excellent GKWare Stair Maker v1.0.32 is available from Sketchucation.

1 Like

Hi Dave R

Cost?
and alsoā€¦ how does it make the staircases? is it parametric? and after if I want to edit and personalize it?

e.g. if it is not perfectly helicas but more bespoke?

http://cabmaker32.com/

It is not freeware - but you do get 7 days free trial.

Garry

Making a ā€˜helical pathā€™ [or a similar complex path] is relatively straightforward.
There are several tools to do it, or you can make it manually.

You can ā€˜weldā€™ the parts into a smooth curve as desired - there are several tools for this.

You will then need to extrude the handrail profile along it.

The native FollowMe tool is fine for a circular profile - just make sure the seed-face is perpendicular to the start of the path, select the path the activate the tool and select the face - you might need to reverse faces if it is made ā€˜inside outā€™.

If you have another profile - e.g. a rectangle, then FollowMe will unexpectedly skew it as it rises up the path.
@eneroth3 made Extension | SketchUp Extension Warehouse to ensure itā€™s kept oriented consistentlyā€¦

Looking at the link, I canā€™t help but chuckle at the idea of your plugin doing Tungsten Inert Gas arc welding in SketchUp. I canā€™t be the first one to make that association. :grin:

1 Like

Thatā€™s ā€œMr. Tungsten Inert Gasā€ to you pal. :smiley:

1 Like

His manors argon.

1 Like

Thank you TIG!!
I will have to tryā€¦ :slight_smile:

Thank you ALL guysā€¦
I will have to definitely tryā€¦ :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.