GPS | Total Station | Other

So I see these coordinates on a project I am working on.
Each represents the center point of a pier footing.

I was interested in checking the distance between the two (& others)
And it occurred to me that maybe if I set my location I could possibly “plot” the locations inside Sketchup?
However, I am not even sure what exactly the coordinates are based on. (GPS/Total Station/Other?)
Anyone have any insight?

N 113020.9804
E 2075828.5694

N 113010.4043
E 2075837.6569

I have no idea. However, from the range of the numbers, these are not GPS coordinates. They could be UTM, but there is no zone specified. If I plot them as x/y coordinates, the distance between the two points is 13.944. About right for a 14-ft beam if the coordinates are in feet from some reference point.

Aha!
Exactly what I was hoping for, I have 13’-11-1/2” (to nearest half inch in LO) on the structure that will be placed “on center(s)”

Now could you expand on how you plotted them as x y coordinates? (Please)
In Sketchup?

I subtracted the two corresponding values of the coordinates:
113020.9804 - 113010.4043 = 10.5761
2075828.5694 - 2075837.6569 = -9.0875

Ignoring the minus sign, I created a rectangle that was 10.5761 x 9.0875 and measured the diagonal.

Even though I was using inches, the 13.944 measurement is the distance.

Note that when entering the values you could append ’ to get feet directly and then set units to architectural with precision 1/2" to get ~13’ 11 1/2".

That leaves the question of the source of those coordinates. If they are feet they are many miles from the origin! Using them directly in SketchUp is likely to cause problems because SketchUp wasn’t designed to handle things that far from the origin.

Jim
That may very well have never occurred to me if I lived to be 100.
Thank You very much!

Charlie

1 Like

I know these type of real world coordinates can wreak havoc in SU, but thought perhaps by setting a location that was very close to these actual coordinates it may not be problematic. (Simple minded I know)

Anyhow…you are correct in advising against it…thanks for that.

I also really only needed to double check the “center point” information being provided by the construction documents I am working from to create Trellis structures and the like. (I have conflicting dimensions on some)
Jim gave me a way to do that…so I think that will suffice for now…thanks to you both.

Charlie

When I was modeling Los Angeles a few years ago, the coordinates of the lower-left (southwest) corner of the dataset was: 1574050.2501430213 (North) and 6276182.629929781(East). As near as I could tell, the reference point seemed to be some arbitrary location a few miles off the coast in the Pacific Ocean.

Wow! 10 digits of precision. They must have been trying to locate individual atoms😜

1 Like

I’m wondering now if i should try to “go the other way” and SEND my information to the surveyor using Trimble Field Point Extension. (Assuming they are using Trimble equipment)

Would probably be faster/easier based on exchange of information.

Charlie

I thought pans.chairs.burn was doing pretty good. :crazy_face: