Ghost Dialog - Inspired by a trend on X

Hey everyone! I was inspired by a cool trend on X and experimented with Ruby in SketchUp. Excited to share this with you and hear your thoughts! :smiley:

5 Likes

I like it! :+1:
Code?
:thinking: Did you use the ā€œkind of techniqueā€ that your post suggests you did before this post? (view.write_imageā€¦)

__
Moved to the right forum categoryā€¦ :wink:

Thank you! Iā€™m glad you like it! :smile:

Yes, I used view.write_image and synchronized the image position on the dialog with the viewport. :smiley:

If interested, you can view the source code here.

(Iā€™ve only tested it on Mac so far)

1 Like

Thanks. I assumed something similar!
The code looks nice and clear, I guess should work in Windows! (I will try it laterā€¦)

Sorry I donā€™t know much about coding, what does it do, is it like a magnifying glass or what?

As I see, currently is to simulate transparency of the dialog - see what is ā€œbehindā€ of the dialog in a model. Which otherwise cannot be achieved natively by UI::HtmlDialog.

However, ā€œmagnifying glassā€ feature can be addedā€¦ relative easy, with a resolution restriction. I guess.

1 Like

The idea I shared revolves around a ā€˜transparent dialogā€™ in SketchUp. Typically, dialogs in SketchUp occupy a fixed area on the viewport, blocking part of the view.
In the video, I make a dialog that is see-through. You can still see your SketchUp model while the dialog is open.

1 Like

it feels like an xray machine.

could be funny to have a different style in it. or your birdcage

lots of possibilities in this ! :slight_smile: