Geolocation Imagery Quality

I’m incredibly disappointed that Trimble has ruined SketchUp. They need to get a real solution for those of us who use geo-location often and for professional use. I didn’t pay for a professional license to NOT be able to do the professional work I need to do. There is no excuse for this.

3 Likes

then nearmap might be an alternative, resolution looks awesome:

The max resolution for most of the stats is in the range of sub meter while the CCD detectors are much better, in micron range and usually that low number is for panchromatic ( projected on the ground) while color is worse. In addition governments control the resolution or they use to I have not research what they allow now.
Also I have seen some post about the max latitude data available. That is controlled largely by orbital dynamics (launch conditions) and payload weight although there are some launches into polar orbits.

Yeah, Nearmap looks like amazing quality (because it is aerial, not satellite). We’ve looked into it before.

However, the coverage is extremely limited. If SketchUp users were confined to major US cities, then Nearmap might be worth looking into.

For PlaceMaker, we are keeping our eye on this provider. There might be potential to integrate their imagery into our product but it would likely come at an additional cost.

Here is their 2017 coverage map.

1 Like

seems that there is no provider with a global coverage of earth imagery in an acceptable resolution… besides DG (and the big G).

Google doesn’t have global imagery either. They source their own aerial data for highly populated areas by flying planes across the region. However where aerial imagery is not available, Google fills in the rest of the world with Digital Globe’s satellite based imagery. One example is Lima Peru. The image quality there is comparable between SketchUp and Google Maps. It looks like Google is using a different data set taken at a different time with different color correction but the detail is basically the same.

1 Like

As a landscape designer I am completely dependant on the Geo-location function for my work.
Accurate seasonal changes and sun/shadow projections are the very basis of my work.
That blurry mess from Digital Globe is unusable.
Years ago I shifted my entire business to work off the SketchUp platform and what am I supposed to do now?
The quality of my work is going to be severely compromised and this is my livelihood!!!
Needless to say I’m feeling very stressed and upset.
Come on SketchUp don’t let your users down…please fix this now!

3 Likes

Can you elaborate a bit on exactly why the imagery is unusable? Is it un usable for presentation purposes? Unusable for survey & accuracy purposes? Some other reason? This info will help us source future data products.

Best Regards
Bryce

SketchUp technical support told me that SketchUp Pro will use the same piece of ■■■■ satellite imaging program as the free version. The only thing I use SketchUp for is overlaying graphic images over satellite images, so the recent change to the satellite image has rendered SketchUp COMPLETELY USELESS to me. If you know of an alternative program I would love to know what it is.

Yes, please post a screenshot of the unusable imagery? From my experience, the DigitalGlobe imagery (at the max zoom level) is very good quality and definitely usable for geo-modeling. Can you also share the specific location that you are looking at? Thanks

For instance, if I wanted to trace the outline of building, it can’t be done with the new images because they are too blurry to make out the details. Also, the image skewed and the lines aren’t at right angles to each other.

1 Like

The issue is exacerbated if the location is smaller.

2 Likes

I also use Google SketchUp Pro professionally for Residential and Commercial Solar Development. I am the design manager for our company and I am now actively looking for a replacement software for SketchUp as this is an unacceptable change.

The recent change to the geo-location image quality significantly reduces the functionality of SketchUp for our office use. The image quality looks embarrassingly bad and we will cannot use it for client presentation as we previously had. The bad imagery also makes it much less functional in our design process as we cannot accurately view buildings and locations. Itdan84 accurately captures image quality issues.

As I understand it, Trimble decided not to pay for Google’s satellite image quality and has instead gone with a cheaper and significantly worse satellite imagery provider. To claim it is related to Google Earth’s API shutdown is disingenuous as Google clearly still provides other programs with their satellite imagery and up to this point had also provided SketchUp with their high quality imagery.

I hope that Trimble will recognize that this is unacceptable to many users and look to correct this as soon as possible.

3 Likes

Hello Bryce,

It is lovely of you to respond so quickly.

After my initial shock and panic of seeing the low res Digital Globe satellite imagery I spent the day trying to find a work around.

I live and work in NSW Australia and we are lucky enough to have six maps https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/ https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/ an online mapping tool.

With a little extra work I can import a screen shot from six maps and overlay the Digital Globe image. Then position my house model accurately.

I feel this has solved my dilemma and I can continue to offer my services to my clients.

In all the years I have been using SketchUp this is the first time I have ever encountered a problem. The software is magic, thank you!

Cheers,
Manuela

1 Like

It hasn’t been Google SketchUp for over 5 years.

Where did you get that information? It’s incorrect. Google isn’t offering the Maps API at any price. Google Maps is off the table.

How about suggesting a better global image/terrain resource that they could use instead of Digital Globe.

1 Like

I completely agree. The new imagery is completely unusable. Please let me know if you find an alternative.

1 Like

Where did you get that information? It’s incorrect. Google isn’t offering the Maps API at any price. Google Maps is off the table.

Google Maps API for a price:

Where did you get your information that Google refused to provide the Maps API for Trimble and SketchUp? There are a small handful of PV design software options that all use the same Google Maps satellite imagery. We have been using SketchUp with plugins but will move to another software option if the imagery quality stays at the current level.

While Microsoft’s Bing imagery is less up to date compared to Google in many areas, it would be preferable to current image quality.

3 Likes

Why does it have to be a single global provider? Even the tool as it is now lists two sources of data: DG and OSM.

Pull down a copy of ArcGIS Earth and fly around. Somehow they have worked out how to integrate multiple providers. They list ESRI, DG, GeoEye, Earthstar Geographics, CNES/Airbus DS, USDA, USGS, AeroGRID, IGN and the GIS User Community.

1 Like

Image Quality is now unusable to geolocate a building … 2017 Fail

1 Like

Google’s terms of service narrowly define how their geo apis can be used. Everyone needs to understand that Google’s APIs DISPLAY data. Google does not give away their data for modification which is what the Add Location feature requires.

SketchUp’s Add Location requires that the imagery and other data be imported into and stored inside the skp file. Geo modeling requires that people have the right to make derivative works from that imagery. All of these actions are expressly prohibited Google Maps API Terms of service. see section 10.5 Intellectual Property.

10.5 Intellectual Property Restrictions.

No distribution or sale except as permitted under the Terms. You will not distribute, sell, or otherwise make any part of the Service available to third parties except as permitted by these Terms.
No derivative works. You will not modify or create a derivative work based on any Content unless expressly permitted to do so under these Terms. For example, the following are prohibited: (i) creating server-side modification of map tiles; (ii) stitching multiple static map images together to display a map that is larger than permitted in the Maps APIs Documentation; or (iii) tracing or copying the copyrightable elements of Google’s maps or building outlines and creating a new work, such as a new mapping or navigation dataset.
No use of Content outside the Service. You will not use any Content outside of the Service except as expressly permitted to do so in Subsection (d). For example, you will not export or save the Content to a third party’s platform or service.
No caching or storage. You will not pre-fetch, cache, index, or store any Content to be used outside the Service, except that you may store limited amounts of Content solely for the purpose of improving the performance of your Maps API Implementation due to network latency (and not for the purpose of preventing Google from accurately tracking usage), and only if such storage: is temporary (and in no event more than 30 calendar days); is secure; does not manipulate or aggregate any part of the Content or Service; and does not modify attribution in any way.
No mass downloading. You will not use the Service in a manner that gives you or a third party access to mass downloads or bulk feeds of any Content. For example, you are not permitted to offer a batch geocoding service that uses Content contained in the Maps API(s).
No incorporating Google software into other software. You will not incorporate any software provided as part of the Service into other software.
No removing, obscuring, or altering terms of service, links, or proprietary rights notices. You will not: remove, obscure, or alter any Google terms of service or any links to or notices of those terms, or any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary rights notices; or falsify or delete any author attributions, legal notices, or other labels of the origin or source of material.

Licensing data for professional tools is extremely complicated. Google set an extremely high bar by making the decision to give away their imagery when they owned SketchUp. But it’s fair to say that their own view of their API products has changed a lot since then. There are also numerous factors on the Trimble side which make our product plans incompatible with Google’s api products. Nobody on the team is happy that had to discontinue serving Google imagery. We are working on improving the imagery products we can offer in Add Location. Its just going to take time for us to get there.

Bryce Stout
Product Manager
Trimble Buildings Architecture & Design Division

8 Likes