Extension is in Warehouse for FREE BUT

It seems reasonable to me that if authors are going to advertise their extensions in the warehouse, they should have to pay a fee. You pay Trimble a percentage of your sales don’t you?

2 Likes

Oh I see what you are saying @DaveR , @eneroth3 is actually subsidizing the author of Cross reference because they sell it elsewhere and pay nothing to the warehouse.

1 Like

Assuming that Trimble gets a cut of her sales, that’s part of it. If that’s the case, it would seem fair for Trimble to get a percentage from those authors who don’t sell through the Warehouse but advertise there or they could require the sales to be handled in the same way Christina’s are.

If they continue to allow off-site sales of extensions, they should make it possible for the authors to indicate that instead of showing them as Free at the top. There’s at least one other extension that I know of that shows “Free” at the top right but the description include information that it isn’t free but that’s the only option since it is being sold outside of the EW.

2 Likes

I think it would make the most sense for Extension Warehouse to not charge from any extension developer as it in the long run benefits SketchUp users and SketchUp anyway. When it comes to charging from people selling on their own site and having a free trial in the Extension Warehouse I’d suspect it’s a bit of a loophole but also a quite low priority among all the EW issues.

they/you can add FREE TRIAL to the extension name…

john

OKAY. I read the information about the extension in the EW and trusted that this extension is checked and ok.
Likewise I trusted that where it says free of charge there is also free of charge in it.

I’m not getting into a discussion on this because currently there are various ‘clues’ to it being a paid extension, they may not have been there when you first used it.

Annotation 2020-02-25 183041
The EW search facility have search filters for:

• Free
  • Paid (with / without trial toggle option)
  • Listing Pages

So what I’m understanding is that the business end of the EW doesn’t have these exact options?

To be honest, the EW new release seems like it needs some more TLC. I’ve also found that some extension icons are being mixed up with other extension icons. See below for example.

Annotation 2020-02-20 090229

The link is for Flowify but the extension icon is that of Eneroth’s Component Replacer (see below)…

Annotation 2020-02-25 183829

That is true. But then, some do not come with a trial, or have a different rbz for the trial.

It should help of we could mark one as a paid extension instead of having to mark them as free when we sell them through another medium.

I distribute my extensions through EW because then a user is assured that it has passed the review process every extension is put through.

No…

You got to use it free for 14 days, so it is free while in trial.

How do you get to a 40 Euro price? I see lower prices and in US $, which the last time I checked traded at a lower value than Euros.

What do you mean by “No”?

@DaveR Trimble dows not get a cut if you make the actual sale by not using EW.

That’s what I was expecting and what Christina indicated, too.

Some countries have higher VAT etc…
Pricing on world scale is difficult. Another reason why I choose another platform for selling extension licenses.

but they have used EW…

a free trial should be a condition of using the EW as a referral service…

maybe @ChrisFullmer or @jbacus can comment on the logic of allowing misrepresentation and sales by stealth…

john

hmmm…

I see you country chosen as Germany, see if you can play with the location and choose somewhere else until you reach a better price?

To be honest, if this extension really eases your workflow and saves you time, that isn’t a lot of money. Either way, it’s your choice to keep on using the extension.

That’s not the reason.
There are prices in $ for a lot of countries - they are all the same. And there are prices in Euro for the Euro countries and they are all the same.
And then there are prices for certain other countries like New Zealand, Switzerland, Great Britain, Denmark?
But this has nothing to do with the tax…

I do not agree it is a sale by stealth. If it was possible to mark them as PAID, I would. My descriptions state they are paid extensions.

Another reason to use EW would be that this makes it clear for a user that the extension is reviewed and approved.

There are pros and cons for becoming a vendor on the EW and selling them through EW, and after thinking about it I concluded that for me it was better to do the actual sale elsewhere.