Error Message upon opening

For the past few weeks I have been getting an error notice upon opening any and all new files.
I don’t know if it’s actually affecting anything, but annoying nonetheless!
Any advice would be appreciated.
TY Dana

Error Loading File shapes.rb
Error: #<SyntaxError: /Users/danajohn/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/shapes.rb:82: syntax error, unexpected ‘,’, expecting =>
defaults = {“w”, 4.feet, “d”, 4.feet, “h”, 4…

Your text is showing “curly” quotes. Should be straight ones.

Go to Settings/ Keyboard to change that. Then open and edit the shapes.rb file to replace all curly quotes with straight ones.

It’s possible, but unlikely, that the original is wrong, but I wrote it years ago for the Extension Warehouse and haven’t changed it since. I will however have a look this evening (UK time) to check.

Something is awry. The latest version from the Extension Warehouse uses the

{ "w" => 4.feet, .... }

syntax when initializing the hash at that line and it is line 84 not 82. Where/when did you obtain the extension you installed?

Edit: on a search of the SketchUcation plugin store I found the culprit. It is the original version named @Last:shapes, which hasn’t been updated since 2013 and is not compatible with the versions of Ruby used by SketchUp since at least 2014! I would suggest that you either get JohnMcClenahan: SU Draw Parametric Shapes from the plugin store or else get the version of shapes from the Extension Warehouse. They both have been updated since the change of Ruby and should both be OK.

P.S. the issue is the change in Ruby syntax, not the smart quotes.

1 Like

Thank you very much! … I’ll get one of the two plug ins.