Downloaded 3D Warehouse Components

Hi there,

I’m new to the community, and to Sketchup, but have gotten a few helpful tips over the past few weeks, so I thought I’d try posting this. Hopefully this is the correct category to post this topic.

I decided to start using Sketchup after a few years of hand-drafting landscape plans for my clients and was looking for a more streamlined process and Sketchup has been good to me, so far.

Anyway, I’ve had good luck with the 3D Warehouse in terms of finding windows, textures, etc for drawing houses, etc. Today, I searched, and found, some cool rocks, boulders, etc. to use in a current landscape design but when I download them into my model I can seem to hide the geometry that is showing on every stone component I’ve downloaded. I haven’t had this problem with windows, doors, fences, etc, so I’m hoping someone may have a tip for me.

I’ve tried getting deep into the component and “Hidden Geometry” is already de-selected.

Thanks for the time. I look forward to any help on this one.

How about sharing a link to one of these components from the Warehouse so we can see what you’re talking about?

@DaveR

Thanks for the reply. The learning curve continues… How do I share a link to a components form the 3D Warehouse?

I see the “Share A Link” icon but where do I link a component from?

Thanks for your patience.

Easiest way is probably to download the componet into a SketchUp file and upload that. Saves us having to do that. You could find it in the 3D Warehouse in your Internet browser and copy the link to paste here.

Does this link work?

Basalt Boulder.skp (357.8 KB)

Yes. the link works. You need to soften the edges. Get select, Double click on the component to open it for editing. Triple click on it to open the component inside and select all the geometry. Right click on it and choose Soften/Smooth. Hit Esc twice to close out. There are some holes in it that should be fixed by drawing edges between vertices and in reality, it’s not likely you need the geometry to be inside a component inside another component so you could explode one of them.

Wow, cool trick! Thanks for the help. I’m sure I’ll need lots more as I go along, but the boulders look cool, thanks to your advice!

Be well!