Dani’s SketchBook

One of the first models. Experimenting with creating custom textures and the smooth tool.

16 Likes

Is the cane seating a texture with transparency for the holes?

Yep. I did that flat geometry here in SketchUp, then I transported the PNG into procreate and colored it, then brought it back as a material.

1 Like

Something to keep in mind, you can do the whole pattern colour and all within sketchup and simply output a png with transparent background.
Here’s a quicky done with one simple rectangle component painted with Bark Maple.

5 Likes

I enjoy getting Lost in the details. Wip on the current model. Embracing the ‘square’ look of this one.

13 Likes

Just for fun. Inspiration based on an old 1930’s cartoon (Mickey’s Trailer).

16 Likes

Very cool and fun :+1: :+1:

1 Like

I’ve been torturing myself trying to figure out rendering. The second image is a little dark for my tastes, but makes for a more narrative image. Here’s the test model done on iPad. Ugly render will follow. … … I like the chess set though.

Both of these done in V-ray. First render just meandering around in the program, and then the one after I watched a bunch of lighting tutorials.

And then bedtime. No more of this. Something happier next time.

6 Likes

Interesting. Rendered with what? On an iPad?

No, the render is on my computer. Sorry. I started in blender because it was what was familiar but didn’t like what the collada was doing, ended in v-ray but suffered a lack of experience.

No iPad renders yet.

1 Like

I’m a beginner at V-Ray myself. I need a serious block of free time to learn it well.

1 Like

And no children or cats climbing all over me and the computer chair. Patience. It requires patience.

3 Likes

Rotate practice.

—-

8 Likes

Now you just need to make them fly :+1: :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Edit: spent 30 minutes thinking about the composition. Had to fix it.

14 Likes

This looks good enough to be a banner for the SketchUp Go product page. Relevant design symbology.

You’ve definitely done this “a few” times.

The entire folding process sped up would make a neat gif,

also, I’m just imagining the plane being folded, then the hand of one of the 2D cut out assets materializes around it when finished, then you could use Fredo animator to make him/her throw the airplane, freeze framing at the point when the plane flies over the SketchUp Go logo. I like the whimsical meandering path you drew also.

@TheOnlyAaron could use this for the opening of SketchUp Go tutorials on YouTube.

• Happy ukulele plays as the plane is folding
  • happy end-strum as the plane comes to a stop over the SketchUp go logo
  • “Even the intro animation was made in SketchUp! :open_mouth:
2 Likes

Working through all of The Sketchup Essentials 30 days to better modeling, thought this one might be easy enough to render in V-ray as practice. I am strangely attracted to the absurdity of it. I need to figure out how to rotate textures to fix the paneled wood on the upright posts. Is it just rotating the material in SketchUp? (something I know how to do on iPad but not in Pro… will look it up.)

3 Likes

Presumably you applied the texture to the faces in the components. If so, open the component for editing, right click on the face, choose Texture>Position. Right click on it again and choose Rotate>90°.

1 Like

I actually applied them to the containers I think… I did what Eric did in the live rendering in V-Ray video where I asked it to apply to tags.

I can go back in and change that. Seems simple enough.

1 Like

You don’t get the option to rotate the material if you apply it to the container.

1 Like