Cutting object in half

Hi!

I want to cut this column in half to create a facade. I have tried to intersect the column with a square (as suggested in many forums), but my computer doesn’t want to respond. I guess the object is too complex… I also tried to use section pane, but that doesn’t seem to work either. Any suggestions?

Untitled.skp (997.7 KB)

hello, how long did you wait for the intersect to complete ? it may take time but will eventually be done.

You can indeed use a section plane too, see file attached

Untitled(2).skp (1.0 MB)

the problem with that solution is that you’ll have to keep sections active, which can be a burden

Thank you!

I waited for about 15 minutes…

In a youtube video tutorial it said first to expand the object, then use section plane, create group from slice, and finally explode the slice. Apparently, then you just erase the other half of the object… This didn’t work…

On thing you can do to speed up the Intersect Faces operation is to limit the amount of geometry you make SketchUp look through. If you select all of the geometry in the column to before selecting Intersect Faces, SketchUp has to look at all of the geometry. Turn on Hidden Geometry and select only the geometry around the split line. Then use Intersect Faces>With Selection.

Here I’ve put a rectangle in the column component where I want to split it.

Then I exploded the subgroups inside that need to be split. Next, with Hidden Geometry turned on, I made a very narrow right to left selection window to avoid selecting any more geometry than I had to select.

The next step would be to right click on it and choose Intersect Faces>With Selected. It’ll still take a little time due to the complex nature of the geometry but it won’t take nearly as long as it would if you make SketchUp look at every face in the model.

1 Like