Converting Sketchup file format to another CAD software product

It never fails to amaze me how seemingly intelligent people fail to communicate.

Punctuation is definitely not the issue.

I’m not looking for an expensive version that has access to a file format I don’t use, or want to pay for.

I’m not looking for a 30 day Pro demo.

I’m not looking for a 2017 version that, while still available, is no longer going to be updated.

I’m not looking for a browser based app that is dependant on an internet connection.

I’m looking for what I have had for several years now, a non-browser based free version that I can count on being available going forward.

I’d settle for a reasonably priced non-browser based version, that doesn’t save in an AutoCAD file format.

SketchUp Sage DaveR hasn’t been helpful. He’s been misleading at best.

This is my last post on this issue, I’ll leave you guys to debate punctuation, and what you think I’m missing here.

1 Like

There was no intent on my part to be misleading. I gave you the options that exist. Apparently none of them are satisfactory for you.

Punctuation would have made you read DaveR’s comment correctly. You seemed to read it as saying that SketchUp Pro can be used for non-commercial purposes for free, which isn’t what he wrote.

Meanwhile, back at your main problem (I think), you want to be able to read DWG files without spending a fortune on Pro; there are extensions you can buy to let Make import DWG and other formats. Here’s one example:

http://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-plugins/dwg-importer-for-sketchUp-main.aspx

Or this one: Download free 3D room planner | pCon.planner

No, with all due respect Colin, you seem to be suffering from the same reading comprehension deficit that Dave is.

I want a free, or reasonably priced, desk top version of SketchUp. I don’t need, or want, to save in AutoCAD formats, I don’t want to pay the Pro license fee to do that. I’m happy to have my designs exist, and stay, in the native SketchUp format.

Please don’t tell me I can do that with the Free version, I know that. I don’t want a browser version, I need an affordable version that works offline, and saves in the SketchUp format.

Please don’t tell me I can do that with the 2017 version, I know that too. I have that version installed, and I’m using it for now. My concern is that in the future there will not be an equivalent, affordable, offline version.

If you can’t read and understand what I’m saying, please don’t respond. If you’re not misleading me, you may be misleading others that are following this thread.

Ok, simple facts:

• SketchUp Make 2017 is still available at no cost. It is a desktop, offline app.
  • Trimble has said that Make 2017 will continue to be available but will not be updated or maintained in the future. That dead-end has angered many people, but it is what Trimble announced. If it doesn’t suit your desires, either move on or pray that Trimble changes their position.
  • You are posting in a topic whose title and tags clearly indicate both need to convert to another CAD product and relevance to SketchUp Free (which is the online, web-based version). Replies involving CAD formats and SketchUp Free should not be a surprise.

Who is it that has a reading comprehension problem?

4 Likes

I’m really confused about all the confusion :S .

2 Likes

G’day everyone,
From an 80 year old retired architect who used AUTOcad and Intellicad for 15 years or more, (I now use QCAD, SU and FreeCAD) I thought I’d just add another facet to the “discussion”. I’m using SU 2016 Make on a laptop running Ubuntu MATE 16.04 using WINE. It works well. However trying to install 2017 has proved impossible, even downloading Net frame(whatever they call it) from MS. And it doesn’t matter, I’m happy with 2016, I design furniture for our house which I then hand make, and I’m so pleased to hear it will be available “forever”. Please note I do not sell my furniture, but I have been known to give bits away sometimes.
I’ve appreciated the help I have received over the years on these forums and it distresses me greatly when I see arguments developing based upon differing opinions as to what is “RIGHT/WRONG” or even semantics, that frankly rarely contribute to anyone’s knowledge of SU.
I accept SU as it is and acknowledge there will some very minor restrictions in the future, but it works now, and that’s all I have.
I know this is “off” topic, but there has been so much vitriol appearing over the subject on other this and other topics I finally had to say something.

There you are I’ve said it… so enjoy your days the number of them is finite.

9 Likes

Agreed, in fact, @Bep or @colin answers could be checked as ‘solution’

1 Like

speaking of wine…

1 Like

From what I can gather, if my answer was marked ‘solution’, I would misunderstand what that meant. Unless I misunderstood the comment about me misunderstanding? In which case I might understand. Probably not though.

4 Likes

Huh?? :thinking:

More info at

1 Like

Personally I am very disappointed in Trimble’s takeover of SketchUp. The spirit of the SketchUp community has changed greatly since their takeover.
I work in developing countries trying to help low income communities improve their lives and living conditions. SketchUp Free was a great resource. No matter how poor the community, they could use it (we donated low cost laptops and used laptops for the communities to use). There is no internet access in many cases, so an internet based software is not an option. Trimble has Xed these people out of the community. I don’t agree with people that using an outdated version of SketchUp is a good option. It may be the only option and we may have to use it as long as it works, but it is not a good thing. For my own personal work, I often find myself in places where there is no internet connection (parts of the mountains, some other countries, etc.). So I really dislike internet dependent software.

Trimble is like most other for profit enterprises and is looking to get as much money as possible out of their product. Everyone needs to make a living and I don’t object to that. But I am not enthusiastic about money as the only motivator for doing things. And I don’t like the manipulative and often dishonest ways that companies go about maximizing their profits. Putting software on line is a way to control the market and force people to continue paying the company for the product. Trimble hasn’t gone 100% online (or rental software) as some of the other big software companies are doing. But it looks like they are headed that way.

4 Likes

I sort of feel your pain,
BUT
For something IT-related to really make an impact. it must boost the productivity of its users. So that would in any case constitute commercial use, and the users would be professionals of one sort or another. When I started to use computers 30+ years ago a seat of AutoCad and the required hardware to run it cost more than the wages I was paid in a year. Yet it was considered a profitable investment. Today the functionality of SketchUp easily surpasses the CAD of that day but the prices in relation to professional wages even in developing countries are but a fraction of the investment required then.

3 Likes

I’m not a lawyer but if a non profit organization uses SketchUp for planning/designing something that helps people improve their living condition in some way or another, is that commercial use? It’s difficult to know the EULA is being broken without having more information.

1 Like

Thanks for joining in the conversation.
Google donated software for us when they still had SketchUp. It actually didn’t occur to me, but I’m a bit horrified at the thought that Trimble would consider these communities use of SketchUp a violation, which I guess maybe it is. I would hope they would be happy and support this use.
There is no way that the people in these communities could afford to pay $700. Just not possible. Of course, they can’t pay me either. I donate my time.
Letting them use SketchUp is really a plus for the company. As someone else pointed out, the free version had a lot to do with the growth and acceptance of SketchUp. Getting more people knowing and using the software is a plus and leads to profits. But I can’t get too excited about figuring out how they can make more money. It’s not really my interest. I really feel SketchUp has lost the spirit it had in the Google days (and Google has lost a lot of their spirit too). I’m going to check out Blender and see what other alternatives there are. I really like working with SketchUp (and I have a Pro license), In my mind, a greater sense of generosity is not a bad thing. Companies with that spirit have done very well. So doing good and doing well are not mutually exclusive.

2 Likes

We would, of course, be happy to continue to support uses like yours. Probably your use is closest to our SketchUp for Non-Profits program, through which we would offer you the same products we offer to students and educators. You would be eligible for SketchUp Pro 2018 licenses (available for use offline, the complete SketchUp Pro feature set).

john

5 Likes

What no help or subsidy for start ups? :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reply. That is encouraging. I’m glad to see you have such a program.
Can you tell me how it works? I assume there is an application process.