Closing Ruby Console window causes SU 2024 to close

if i open SU 2024 with the Ruby console window open and i see some errors (or other content), closing the window immediately closes SU as well. if i open without any errors (or any content really) showing in the console, i can close it and SU stays open.

e.g. i see this upon opening and if i close the console window, SU closes.

note: this is not a “crash” per se, because if the file is dirty, then it does ask you if you want to save it:

I’ll have to cobble up a test file and try it.

Those are not errors by the way, just warnings that the FileUtils library has been loaded more than once. (Someone’s code is using load when they should have used require.)

1 Like

Okay I cobbled up a simple file and dropped it in my “Plugins” folder to test.

test_fileutils.rb (42 Bytes)

I could not reproduce the issue on Win 10.

yeah pretty sure it’s because something else i have is using it.

i’m not overly concerned, but what is problematic is if i leave the console window open, and later when i re-open SU and it’s open and i see the content, i know that as soon as i click on the x to close it, my SU is going to close as well. so for now i just close it then re-launch SU to get past it (since i don’t use the console a lot).

What if you type cls to clear the console before closing it?

did not try that yet because i’m just in the habit of closing it – but i’ll give it a try.

ok, so did some testing:

if an error / content is displayed in the Ruby console window upon opening SU 2024 (and creating a default project) or opening an SU file, without editing the project, if you close the console window, it will close the SU project.

note: this behaviour is not happening in SU 2023 (which displays the same error on startup for the redundancy in fileutils due to some other extension already using the fileutils)

1 - cls doesn’t change the behaviour, nor does moving the position of the console window (i thought i saw this once but could not repeat it)

2 - if the file is dirty, then close the window allows the option to save it or not

2a - if you select cancel on the dialog to save the dirty file, the console windows closes and the file remains open.

2b - you can open and close the console windows as often as you like after that

3 - re-opening SU with the console window open and an error / content display results in the same behaviour of closing the window and the SU project.

OK weird. It could be a Win 11 specific bug.

I would suggest rebooting to clear all memory. And then without running SketchUp, …
… rerun the installer via right-click “Run as administrator” and choose the Repair option.

Retest.

If this does not work. …

Again, reboot to clear all memory.
Navigate to %LocalAppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/
and rename the "Private_preferences.json" file.

Start SketchUp and it should regenerate the file.
(If this file gets corrupted, weird stuff happens with file handling. I was getting crashes whenever I tried to open a recent file from the bottom of the File menu. @colin had me regenerate this JSON file and he crashes went away.)

ok, so reboot, re-install via admin (like always for the last 20 years) and renamed the preferences - re-ran steps. still same issue. the fileutil.rb in the Ruby 3.2.2 library is being called by a number of extensions (including Sketchucation 4.4.0) and really the “error” is merely noting the fileutils are already loaded.
i suppose if it were possible to suppress that message, then my console would show up clean.
another note: if i run load “fileutils.rb” in the console, all the same messages appear – but without making the file dirty, i can close the console window…

not sure if there is some cascading of the dialog to the parent window which is set during initial load but subsequently dropped if you execute something in the dialog…

here’s the error results if i rem out the fileutils.rb in the RubyStd folder.

Extension Errors Report
SketchUp: 24.0.484
Ruby: 3.2.2

Extension: BoolTools 2 (2.1.9)
Error: LoadError (cannot load such file – fileutils)
<internal:C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb>:85:in require' <internal:C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb>:85:in require’
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_booltools/bt_main.rbe:79:in <module:BoolTools>' c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_booltools/bt_main.rbe:2:in
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_booltools/bt_load.rbe:19:in eval' c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_booltools/bt_load.rbe:19:in require’
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_booltools/bt_load.rbe:19:in block in <module:BoolTools>' c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_booltools/bt_load.rbe:19:in each’
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_booltools/bt_load.rbe:19:in <module:BoolTools>' c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_booltools/bt_load.rbe:1:in
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in eval' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in require’
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in load' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/DM_BoolTools.rb:19:in register_extension’
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/DM_BoolTools.rb:19:in <module:BoolTools>' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/DM_BoolTools.rb:7:in module:DM
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/DM_BoolTools.rb:6:in `<top (required)>’

Extension: Profile Builder 3 (3.3.7)
<internal:C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb>:85:in require' <internal:C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb>:85:in require’
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_profilebuilder3/profilebuilder.rbe:79:in <module:ProfileBuilder3>' c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_profilebuilder3/profilebuilder.rbe:2:in
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_profilebuilder3/pb_load.rbe:90:in eval' c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_profilebuilder3/pb_load.rbe:90:in require’
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_profilebuilder3/pb_load.rbe:90:in block in load_source_files' c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_profilebuilder3/pb_load.rbe:90:in each’
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_profilebuilder3/pb_load.rbe:90:in load_source_files' c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_profilebuilder3/pb_load.rbe:93:in module:ProfileBuilder3
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/dm_profilebuilder3/pb_load.rbe:1:in <main>' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in eval’
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in require' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in load’
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/DM_ProfileBuilder3.rb:19:in register_extension' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/DM_ProfileBuilder3.rb:19:in module:ProfileBuilder3
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/DM_ProfileBuilder3.rb:6:in <module:DM>' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/DM_ProfileBuilder3.rb:5:in <top (required)>’

Extension: Fredo6 LibFredo6 (1.0)
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/fredo6_!libfredo6/top_libfredo6.rbe:26:in <main>' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in eval’
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in require' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in load’
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/Fredo6_!LibFredo6.rb:66:in register_extension' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/Fredo6_!LibFredo6.rb:66:in process’
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/Fredo6_!LibFredo6.rb:76:in <module:LibFredo6_Loader>' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/Fredo6_!LibFredo6.rb:30:in <top (required)>’

Extension: [unknown]
Error: LoadError (cannot load such file – FileUtils)
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/su_podium_v26/plug_in/extras/reset_edge_smoothing.rbe:3:in <class:ResetMaterialLowEdgeSmoothing>' c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/su_podium_v26/plug_in/extras/reset_edge_smoothing.rbe:1:in
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/su_podium_v26/plug_in/plug_in.rbe:10:in eval' c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/su_podium_v26/plug_in/plug_in.rbe:10:in require’
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/su_podium_v26/plug_in/plug_in.rbe:10:in <main>' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/SU_Podium_V26.rb:4:in eval’
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/SU_Podium_V26.rb:4:in require' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/SU_Podium_V26.rb:4:in <top (required)>’

Extension: SketchUcation (4.4.0)
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/sketchucation/scf_loader.rbe:17:in compatible?' c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/sketchucation/scf_loader.rbe:39:in module:SCF
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/sketchucation/scf_loader.rbe:13:in <main>' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in eval’
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/SketchUcation.rb:181:in register_extension' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/SketchUcation.rb:181:in module:SCF
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/SketchUcation.rb:17:in `<top (required)>’

Extension: OpenCutList (6.2.0)
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/ladb_opencutlist/ruby/plugin.rb:4:in <module:OpenCutList>' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/ladb_opencutlist/ruby/plugin.rb:1:in <top (required)>’
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/ladb_opencutlist/ruby/main.rb:5:in require_relative' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/ladb_opencutlist/ruby/main.rb:5:in module:OpenCutList
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/ladb_opencutlist/ruby/main.rb:2:in <module:Ladb>' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/ladb_opencutlist/ruby/main.rb:1:in <top (required)>’
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/ladb_opencutlist.rb:61:in register_extension' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/ladb_opencutlist.rb:61:in module:OpenCutList
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/ladb_opencutlist.rb:2:in <module:Ladb>' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/ladb_opencutlist.rb:1:in <top (required)>’

Extension: [unknown]
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/su_diffusion.rb:4:in `<top (required)>’

Extension: Trimble Connect (2.0.10)
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/su_trimble_connect/main.rbe:4:in <main>' c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/su_trimble_connect/boot.rbe:61:in eval’
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/su_trimble_connect/boot.rbe:61:in require' c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/su_trimble_connect/boot.rbe:61:in block in load_source_files’
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/su_trimble_connect/boot.rbe:61:in each' c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/su_trimble_connect/boot.rbe:61:in load_source_files’
c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/su_trimble_connect/boot.rbe:66:in <module:TrimbleConnect>' c:/users/gullf/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2024/sketchup/plugins/su_trimble_connect/boot.rbe:11:in
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in eval' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in require’
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in load' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/su_trimble_connect.rb:55:in register_extension’
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/su_trimble_connect.rb:55:in <module:TrimbleConnect>' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/su_trimble_connect.rb:8:in module:Trimble
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/su_trimble_connect.rb:7:in `<top (required)>’

Extension: Universal Importer (1.2.2)
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/universal_importer/assimp.rb:16:in <top (required)>' <internal:C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb>:85:in require’
<internal:C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb>:85:in require' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/universal_importer/load.rb:16:in <top (required)>’
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/universal_importer.rb:47:in register_extension' C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/universal_importer.rb:47:in module:UniversalImporter
C:/Users/gullf/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/universal_importer.rb:22:in `<top (required)>’

nevermind ...

EDIT: I missed your note …

DISREGARD
This is not what your list of errors show.
The errors (in the list above) are LoadError exceptions where the file cannot be found.

Check for existence at console:

path = Sketchup.find_support_file("Tools/RubyStdLib")
File.exist?(File.join(path,'fileutils.rb'))

If it does exist, you might have a permissions error on the program folders and subfolders.

… although it not necessary to inundate us with all those backtraces (above.)

1 Like

@TIG Does SkeckUcation 4.4.0 use “load 'fileutils'” or “require 'fileutils'” ?

It runs the

require 'fileutils'

there’s no check to see if it’s already loaded
The ‘load’ error above says it relates to ‘require’ - so I suspect something’s adrift with the latest Ruby error reporting… where require is equated to load ?

Just testing in the Ruby Console shows this:

require 'fileutils' # or 'fileutils.rb'

=> false

# as it's already been loaded

# BUT using 'load'

load 'fileutils.rb'

C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/fileutils.rb:183: warning: already initialized constant FileUtils::VERSION
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/fileutils.rb:183: warning: previous definition of VERSION was here
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/fileutils.rb:2165: warning: already initialized constant FileUtils::Entry_::S_IF_DOOR
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/fileutils.rb:2165: warning: previous definition of S_IF_DOOR was here
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/fileutils.rb:2459: warning: already initialized constant FileUtils::Entry_::DIRECTORY_TERM
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/fileutils.rb:2459: warning: previous definition of DIRECTORY_TERM was here
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/fileutils.rb:2569: warning: already initialized constant FileUtils::OPT_TABLE
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/fileutils.rb:2569: warning: previous definition of OPT_TABLE was here
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/fileutils.rb:2627: warning: already initialized constant FileUtils::LOW_METHODS
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/fileutils.rb:2627: warning: previous definition of LOW_METHODS was here
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/fileutils.rb:2634: warning: already initialized constant FileUtils::METHODS
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/RubyStdLib/fileutils.rb:2634: warning: previous definition of METHODS was here

=> true

# Because of the Constant re-write warning...

There is no actual LoadError.

Glenn commented out (likely renamed) the fileutils.rb file in the Tools/RubyStdLib folder to cause errors, so he could see what extensions he has installed that use this library.

The issue he is seeing is that require seems to be loading files that have already been loaded.
I suspect it may have to do with messing with the case of pathnames in the $LOADED_FEATURES array.

I would expect a reload in the case where Podium uses: require "FileUtils" but not for the other extension that use the lowercase require "fileutils".

@glennmstanton How about disabling Podium and see if you still get the strange console behavior?

I’ll give it a try

SU Podium is the culprit for the “load” vs “require” as disabling it show no redundant entries via the console (which closes as expected leaving the project open). i’ll raise this with the Podium folks.

it would also be a nice-to-have though if there was a flag or debug level setting we could set on SU regarding warnings vs error etc.

2 Likes

It may be the $VERBOSE global variable which defaults to false (terse).
true == verbose
nil == silent

There may be other more fine grained warning control in Ruby. (Not sure.)

1 Like

(a) What was the Podium version causing the errors?

(b) Was it specifically advertised as being SU 2024 compatible?

it’s SP 2.6 build 051 (which was updated to support SU 2024)
https://suplugins.com/podium/podium-downloads.php

note: this same warning/error message exists in the SU 2023 SP 2.6 but the warning in the console does not cause SU to close. only SU 2024 behaves like this.

1 Like