Clean Up Materials

I am trying to clean up the materials in a model. I have tried:

• Window > Model Information > Statistics > Purge Unused (seemed to have purges some colors but not all that I cannot associate with an object.

• Select a Material > Right Click > Select and sometimes I get to see the material - most of the time I do not but it does show a volume… A couple of times Select was grayed out.

• A couple of times I see a color and a second one with the same name but with a label as a copy. This is probably because the model is a compilation of components from my library.

Really need some suggestions of ways to clean up the model.

I think this is a built in feature, though maybe it came with an extension? Anyway, find a color that didn’t purge, and that you could see anywhere. Make a face and paint bucket fill with that mystery color. Select the face and go:

Edit/Face/Select/All with same Material

That should select any other faces that have the same color. The menu item changes its name to give you the number of faces using that material. My guess/hope, is that you’re using some colors on the back side of a face.

Consider:

This finds all materials with the same RGB and A, and also the same Textures where applicable… and reduces the model’s materials to as few as possible…

Nice try, that did not work either. I definitely did it with colors that I knew which objects the color was connected to.

I am thinking it may have something to do with components (seems like I remember reading that someplace before)

The MaterialsConsolidator fixes everything inside all definitions/groups too…

Thanks TIG, I will give that a try as well…Is there an rbz or do I just download the rb file from that thread.

Almost all SketchUcation PluginStore links give you an RBZ…

Yep - got it but still have a bunch of materials that I have not associated with an object/face yet…

It may be possible that the colour you are seeing is not associated with either a face or back-face but with a component (i.e. used to paint a component over the default nil brush). In that case, you could simply right-click on the material in the materials tray and select ‘Delete’.
That would remove the material, and the component in question will revert to the default brush again.

If you have materials applied only onto edges these can be hard to eradicate…
If you are sure they are not used by anything else, then use the @Centaur method to remove them from the model…

Thanks @Centaur, that is an easy enough route to go. :grinning:

You might also try CleanUp3.

Will give it a look also…Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.