Can you help me with connecting hand rail to the stair newel?

You could half the angle to get the same profile…

1 Like

I would perhaps keep the profiles straight and sculpt the posts instead

4 Likes

This could be constructed. If that matters.

2 Likes

Hi Dave.

The traditional handrail design follows the string below, and that’s because usually the balusters need to fit to both.

In this unusual case with straight strings one way would probably be to make a newel that’s faces are perpendicular to the strings. So in this case it would be a four sided polygon on plan with the opposite sides parallel.

An alternative would be to create a wreathed section before the newel joint but this would usually be mirrored below on the string.

My experience with using SketchUp to draw these wreaths is that it’s very difficult. The closest I’ve got is by using Fredo6 curviloft, but despite the use of inferences even that doesn’t produce perfect results. Good for visuals though… see example attached.
3rd and 4th images are the real thing, but the others are all SketchUp rendered in Maxwell

Hope that helps.

David.

6 Likes

It can be made still simpler.

2 Likes

Use follow me commwnd
handrail - Thanks!.skp (201.1 KB)

Did you adjust the height of the newel post on the top or bottom? I found you couldn’t follow the slope of the stairs and fit the profile on both the top and bottom newel post without an upeasing. I could make the vertical rise smaller if I didn’t center the profile in the upper section of the newel on both newels but it doesn’t fit while keeping the stair slope.