Can Use Some Advice for my 1st Project! This roof is so hard!

I want to set up textures and UV’s in Maya and then export to UE4. I have an obj exporter but it cuts my model into all these triangles and brings it in gigantic even though I have both set up to cm. It also imports what only seems to be half of my model which is very strange and I just don’t understand it. There is another plugin called PlayUp tools but that requires a windows plugin to import the file into UE4.

I would also be happy to export directly into UE4 and I can work on UV’s and textures there skipping the maya step, however there is no .fbx exporter that I can get to work with Sketchup Make.

I guess I need to just purchase the pro. As a student it is hard to invest so much into these programs when you are still learning them!

1 Like

albaumgartner is absolutely right! It isn’t a Mac v Windows issue…and yes you are very limited to what you can do as far exporting is concerned “Collada-.dae” or “Google” (that’ll be interesting…as it’s not google anymore - I’m quoting SketchUp 2013 (free version)) I did eventually go and get the pro version a year back and have been very glad that I did so (SkecthUp Pro 2016 I think it was about £600 sterling?) It’s made my life a lot easier and I can export to various renderers now … Plus of course you can have it on two machines…so a desktop at home and (in my case) on my laptop to take to clients and of course it’s a one off cost and you keep it forever…can’t say that about Adobe! and et al. Best of luck…I say go for it! I then export to Chettah 3D and finish them off that way. Have been very happy with the results.

For Sketchup Make it is a Mac vs. PS thing as the only .obj exporter plugin I could find (PlayupTools) requires windows as well as the only .dwg importer (SimLab DWF Importer). So now I am actually debating between purchasing a PC so I can use the plugins or purchasing the Sketchup Pro for Mac (I have been 100% mac for 15 years ack!).

As I get deeper and deeper into understanding of 3D Modelling for games all roads seem to point to PC as industry standard, so it may be more worth my while to purchase a PC first, use the plugins for a while, and then purchase the Pro when I am closer to the “making money in the industry” phase. I sure will miss working on my mac…

Anybody else out there had to switch?

1 Like

alice, beware the rabbit hole…

1 Like

haha, tell me about it!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.