Can I use dynamic objects in Sketchup Viewer VR with Oculus Rift

I have a question about projects with dynamic objects that I have buildt with Sketchup Pro 2019 and like to showing in sketchup Viewer VR with our Oculus Rift. To show my projects to my clients directly inside a virtual room this works fine. But the dynamic objects cannot be used in the VR Viewer with Oculus Rift (like open and close doors and so on). How can I fix this or is this not possible ?

Thanks for Helping
Ronny

Likely not yet possible.

The Dynamic Components extension is a Ruby extension.
Only the desktop editions have a Ruby environment to run these extensions.

However, it is conceivable that simple interactions like clicking to rotate a door could be implemented in viewer code without needing the entire DC extension.
Perhaps reassign this topic to the Viewer category with a “[Feature Request]” prefix ? (There does not appear to be a dedicated category for viewer FRs.)

2 Likes

I’m having a hard time conceiving of that outside of the Ruby environment. Unless it’s a completely new “feature”, you would still need essentially everything that’s “under the hood”

• Code to implement the “Interact” Tool
  • Code to completely recalculate the attributes.
  • Code for the timing necessary for the OnClick functions that provide a bit of animation.

It would be, in essence, a rewrite of all but the UI of Dynamic Components - but not in Ruby.

Now if it were done with an eye to code that could be used in a desktop environment (as well as web based) - it might be worth doing as a replacement for the DC Extension offiline and adding DC function online, it might be worth Trimble’s time.

LightUp iPad Player supports the Dynamic Components LightUp

google it…

I’m not sure if LU luca player does as well, @AdamB …

john

1 Like

LightUp .luca files contain all your settings. Lit mode, Scenes, any supported Dynamic Components

1 Like

I did say “simple interactions” … not full blown DC support like scaling and having extra copies of ladder rungs get created, etc. This would not need to “completely recalculate the attributes”.

The viewer code (and C code using the C API) can read SKP files, including attribute dictionaries to know if an onClick has a simple rotation, what direction, how many degrees.

Creating a cursor is basic, and a tool that knows where it clicks and what it clicks on. I assume any good Graphics library for the platform in use, already has animation capabilities.

ADD: Also we are talking “viewer” here. There is no DC authoring dialog or code needed.

Yes, we talking about the vr viewer. I ask for an idee how my client experience to open a door for example with a virtual click with a Oculus Rift controller when he is inside the room.
I see, its not easy to fix my problem.

Hi Dan,

I know you said “simple interactions”. What I neglected to convey is that I doubt Trimble would be interested in implementing a subset of “interact” functionality - that it would likely be all or nothing - and the rest of my response was an explication of why “all” would be very difficult.

Sorry I didn’t make myself clear.

1 Like

Sketchfab has ‘configurators’

And a team to help you build one.
(To program a good, configurable model is like creating a working DC…:slight_smile: )

AH okay. Now I know where your coming from. But I will disagree. The viewers themselves are a subset of the main app’s functionality. And they’ve adapted a subset of measuring functionalities since releasing the viewers. So it already has been done. And others like Adam have also done this in their 3rd party apps.

Try SimLab Composer!!!