Cache vs Clockspeed - Discuss

Just responding to OP’s comment "Vray CPU rendering loooves as many threads as it can have ". I have no numbers to look at in regards to VRay using either. $100 is not much to worry about honestly in pricing a high end CAD station.

1 Like

16cores/32threads or 8cores/16threads is more or less irrelevant if the multi-threading performance is nearly the same, for SU modeling the much better single-thread performance will surely be welcome.

1 Like

Very true but sometimes when your PC has to do double duty as a 3d creation AND render box you might want a bit more threads and deal with a marginal drop in single-thread performance. As for SU I doubt one would see any difference from one of these and a 4th gen i7. I see you point though.

1 Like

https://benchmark.chaosgroup.com/next/cpu?page=2&search=

Interesting…(seems higher is better)
AMD Threadripper 2990WX = 35,779
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X = 14,627
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X = 19,379
Intel i9 7980XE = 34,392

1 Like

AMD Threadripper 2950X = 23,347
intel i9-9900K = 16,590
intel i7-9700K = 12,123

dunno how the V-Ray bench works but have the impression it’s simply scaling up by counting the available threads… would be interesting to see if this can be reproduced in real life.

Having lots of threads might be more fluent if running multiple demanding applications at the same time or having more fine granulated bandings during rendering but shouldn’t scale up this way if the overall multithread performance is nearly the same.

1 Like

Nor do I know how it works. I just spent a few minutes looking for Vray CPU benchmarks and found a database on their site. I honestly doubt that these numbers are NOT actual user results and not just an applied multiplier. I don’t have Vray so I can’t replicate what my machine would do but I guess that I could try the demo and see. Just found the results interesting.

1 Like

Has a free trial. Individual license is 29 US (at time of this post,) with volume discounts available.

All that aside, I personally have an issue with charging customers for a product, then soliciting data from that paid product and posting it to a website that displays advertisements to raise revenue.

A quick web search shows there are free benchmarking utilities out there … for example …

So it’s safe to assume that the numbers from the link I posted are REAL numbers and not “scaled” up from a certain baseline score. Yeah paying for a performance test seems wrong. I mean even Cinebench is free.

surely “REAL numbers”… but without knowing what exactly is measured difficult to decide what they say, but there is maybe some documentation provided by Chaosgroup?

Good points and not sure if there is. I might take a look later.

I’m not sure how useful it is to contribute (as my knowledge is less than all of yours), but I happily use SU Pro on a 7700K. I got this due to the high CPU speed, but also because 80% of my work is using CAD. My future intention (hopeful) is to have 2950X which will do rendering, leaving my main workstation (might keep the 7700K) free to do other work. As a self-employed chap, I find having 2 machines very important, because if one goes pop, I can switch to the other with almost no downtime. Then in my spare time, I fix the broken one. I can also buy computers and they become a 100% TAX deductible item, which helps a lot (UK).

Before then, I had to fall back on my laptop when my main machine died, and that was terrible.

Fair play for the calm conversation people :+1:

GPU: P2000 (i7) / GTX1070 (spare machine)

1 Like

you can download the benchmarking software and benchmark your rig without having to download Vray. I looked around on it and it seems that clockspeed x threads are the main contributer to performance. cache after 16MBs seemed to make no difference.

I know right :smiley: but its at work and they are paying for it.
I have a budget of $2200 AUD for tower components though (including case) so I have to work out what to cut down on.

So for peak CPU rendering performance within my price range it seems to be 9900k which has 16 super fast threads. but to get that card my gpu is going to be ■■■■.

However, all of your suggestions have been super helpful and now I know a lot more then i did before

That is a very interesting comparison you have there.
From my very short study, CPU affects the speed of loading in new elements and moving things around, GPU affects the rotation and movement of camera angles.

• What CPU models were they in each machine?

• What sort of difference in speed is there in manipulating and moving objects?

• What sort of difference in moving the camera angle?

Thanks for joining the discussion :slight_smile:

• V-Ray Benchmark: Info & Download
• V-Ray Benchmark: Documentation

intel i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz (mine) = 5.414 ksamples

1 Like

Sorry Linden, is your response aimed at me or everyone? (Not familiar with this forum format! :roll_eyes:)

1 Like

One of Linden’s replies was to you. You can see the graphic that shows which post this post is in reply to. In this example case you can see that you had replied to Linden.

1 Like