Better Together - Collaborate with your fellow educators

Hello SketchUp Educators!

We at SketchUp are so inspired by the work that you do every day, and by the projects that you and your students create, that we thought it would be wonderful if they could be shared more broadly. We’ve created this thread as a place for you to share lesson plans, student projects, and your personal creations, with your fellow educators. Some of our best work comes from collaborating and learning from others, and we want to help you do just that. To help kick things off, we’re posting some of our favourite resources, and we can’t wait to see what you do with them!

SketchUp-Symbol-RGB-276x301-3b6bc2a

Click here to download our complete list of K-12 resources:
SketchUp K12 Resource List.pdf (97.7 KB)

My class has been playing around with Mozilla Hubs and Spoke. I see a ton of potential in using Sketchup to create models that could then be imported into a Hubs scene, which can then be viewed in an immersive VR environment on any device. We’ve ran into a hiccup, though as I am unable to find the best workflow to convert the .obj files to a GL Transmission Format (glTF) file. We are a 1-to-1 Chromebook district, but happy to have Sketchup as an option for students to learn 3D modeling.

I welcome the opportunity to collaborate with other educators with Hubs projects! Let me know if you’re interested in learning more.

Looking for ways to introduce your students or yourself to SketchUp, but finding that tackling bite sized pieces works best? Check out our SketchUp Fundamentals course hosted on learn.sketchup.com.

You can have your students work their way through the entire 12 section course, or assign them a specific video tutorial, focusing on tasks like using Drawing Tools, creating Components, or using the Follow Me tool. This can be a great way for students to get some extra time practicing specific skills!

2 Likes

I’m a retired tech teacher and placed some of my SU lessons online about 6 months ago. Since then, I’ve added some projects. It’s not a soup to nuts curriculum, but if it saves some colleagues some time, I’m happy. Each project is designed for independent work by the student with the teacher available to answer questions, or better yet, set up a discussion where kids can answer each other’s questions. If your students are like mine were, there are always a few of the kids you thought were so quiet that spring to life to share what they know.

Eric

2 Likes

For an alternative take on introducing your students to SketchUp for Schools, check out Brian Huang’s 5 Tips and Tricks for Getting Started with SketchUp for Schools!

Brian Huang teaches Physics, and Engineering Design and Development courses at VonSteuben Metropolitan Science Center in Chicago, and uses SketchUp for Schools in his classes.

Thank you for sharing Brian!

1 Like

The link to the Fundamentals 101 course is broken. Have the course been moved? I’ve been using it in my classroom to introduce students to Sketchup. They are awesome. Thanks, Mike

@mbuonocore Are you having trouble with the link that I posted above? Which browser type are you using?

Hi Tori,
Weird, it’s working this morning. For the past week or so I was getting a generic web page saying can’t load page error using Chrome and Explorer. This is the link from the Sketchup Fundamentals Course from the Orbit From Home blog.
https://learn.sketchup.com/track/

Thanks for responding anyway. Those courses are awesome! I’ve been using them in Sustainable Architecture class. They are short, easy to use and understand. Great job if you put them together. I wish I could download them just in case something happens in the future with the links.

Thanks for pointing that out Mike, I’ll pass along the news about the blog post link.

I can’t take credit for those courses in particular, but we appreciate your feedback and I’m glad that you’ve found them so useful! We certainly intend to keep them accessible to our users. Best of luck with your course this semester!