Benchmark for SketchUp

It probably would. The Quadro M1000m is what I would call an entry-level graphics card, though, primarily meant for 2D CAD work.

1 Like

@MikeWayzovski can you add 2021? I don’t seem to have access to edit the form :wink:

Dell XPS 8940
i7 11700K
64GB DDR 2933
RTX 2060
(system does have excessive CPU power throttling, etc.)
1920x1200 monitor, 8 bit colour
anti aliased textures

Screenshot 2021-07-27 002914

Screenshot 2021-07-27 131533

55 fps with profiles turned off.

2 Likes

done!

results without the used screen resolution (or the resolution of a scaled SU window) and Anti Aliasing (“Preferences > OpenGL”) are still pretty useless because not comparable.

2 Likes

With eGPU (RTX 3090 24GB VRAM) at 2560x1440 resolution:

WIth internal GPU (AMD Radeon Pro 4GB VRAM) at 2560x1440 resolution:

I thought the viewport performance depends mainly on CPU but it seems better GPUs has an effect as well!

Where is this Module “Test”, and the method “time_display” documented? I’m not finding it in searches, but the word “Test” is such a generic term.

In the console, typing “Test.methods” results in a large list. How do I use the method “.show_fps”?

How do I get the values displayed in the message box into variables in a Ruby script?

@MikeWayzovski

Is this data correct?

Only just realised that this benchmark existed! Frames per second with original settings in the file: 31.5922.

After I turned off shadows and chose the style Shaded with Textures: 60.5306.

I’m confused why SU included shadows and a more resource intensive Style setting to begin with. You’re already slowing the file down. I never use shadows and always use Shaded with Textures anyway.

This clearly shows how efficient workflows definitely optimises SketchUp :slightly_smiling_face:

Spec (5 years old!):
Dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630
64GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 980i

Benchmark

60 fps is pretty good. Of the things that are on by default, that slow down performance, Profiles is one of the worst. Turning off Profiles can make a big difference.

100%! I advise my students to use the ‘fast modelling’ styles all the time, particularly Shaded with Textures!

There are no special modes in SketchUp, you always work in the ‘endresult’ or editing mode. So adjusting the render style has great impact on performance

1 Like

Fair point. View size: 1893 x 913. Anti Aliasing is set to 0.

Totally! I always knew that but I never had something ‘tangible’ ro prove it (until now!).

Just set up a new laptop… a modest Dell Inspiron with integrated Iris Xe GPU.

Inspirion 15 5510
i7 11390H
16GB RAM
Iris XE (shared memory)

Completely stock with no setting changes, and at 1080p native display, default Sketchup 2021 install with 4x AA.

Im impressed by how smooth this feels. I made 84 duplicate copies of the Test Time Display sample model, and it still feels smooth and gives 11-12 FPS during the test. Compared to my laptops with dedicated GPUs, this one keeps the shadows visible instead of hiding & recalculating them as I orbit - it’s a nicer experience.

[But there is an error with the text overlay that I haven’t seen before on other systems…]

^^^ Nope - turns out there is not GPU error it was a User error!!

I might do a bit more testing if anyone is particularly interested, but for now I’d say the performance of the Iris Pro is good.

As a reference, my “workstation laptop” (an older i8750h, 32gb DDR4 and 1070max-q) scores about the same in this test.

Drivers/stability is untested but that overlay bug worries me slightly.
Also, since the Iris XE shares system RAM, you will want at least 16GB total RAM in the laptop, but 32GB wouldn’t be overkill if you run lots of Chrome tabs and sketchup windows + LO.

Do you have Fast Feedback on or off? (Window menu>Preferences>OpenGL) Most integrated graphics don’t support Fast Feedback.

any reason why this?
would at least use an AA of “2x”, better “4x”… more doesn’t help much more.

With Retina displays lines are already not very jaggy. You can see changes with 2x and 4x, but not enough to be worth giving up performance.

For the benchmark test though, Profiles and Shadows, and 4x AA, ought to be on. Then it’s a fairer comparison between different machines.

1 Like