Beginner's problem - cannot close the faces!

Hello,

I’ve just started to use SketchUp to create a .stl file in order to print a plastic piece. Actually, my mum’s suitcase has broken and I am trying to repair it :slight_smile: In the handle of the suitcase there is a little plastic piece which is broken.

I started creating my model by a 2D surface. Then I pulled the faces, but I cannot close these! The model has still reverse faces and after turning Solid Inspector, it shows that there is a problem with the circles and ellipse.

I was trying to look very carefully on the whole surface borders, but I cannot find any hole that could generate this error. I will be very grateful for your help !

suitcase_button.skp (1.3 MB)

It is not always a ‘hole’ which breaks solidity.
It can be a face using an edge with more that two faces - e.g. the two red circles.
Or the central parts - which I surmise relate to two internal curved partitions and a missing bottom oval face - at the moment some faces support more than two faces - rendering the object NOT a manifold solid !
Here’s a fixed ‘solid’ version.

suitcase_button[TIG].skp (1.2 MB)

Thank you very much for your help.

Could you please tell me how did you do to fix it ? I tried to add another element to my piece (working on the file that you fixed) and I have the same problem with the circles.

suitcase_button[TIG]_corr.skp (1.3 MB)

First get rid of the useless Printer template and turn off x-ray so you can see the faces.
This will show you a thick line around the circles which means the edge hasn’t cut through properly.
Take the pencil and trace one segment and the edge will break and become thin, delete the face, repeat on the second circle.

Thank you very much, your responses really helped me. I printed my piece today, it looks great and the suitcase works :slight_smile:

2 Likes