Ball lamp doesn’t look real

Oh boy, you’re such a good soul! I’ll compare your settings etc and try to fix mine :wink: thank you so much for your help!

1 Like

It does look better :face_holding_back_tears:

Play with that highlight burn a bit. You’ll get there!

Oh my, yes! I forgot about that, long day :sweat_smile: I will fix it :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m a beginner at V-Ray but an experienced photographer. I’m thinking you put light sources in the ceiling globes to make them glow, and then put other point sources behind them to simulate the illumination from them? The hot spot on the ceiling seems brighter than the light source itself which is unnatural, plus the two shadows of the cabinet and the toilet from two light sources are super crisp and well defined meaning they’re from a point source. A diffuse light fixture aught to cast softer edged shadows. @eric-s demonstrated something like that in the online tutorial.

BTW, if you ever want to learn deep theory of photographic lighting, Light Science and Magic is great:

It’s on Amazon as well.

1 Like

I found this video about V-ray glass to be quite informative.

You’re totally right, thanks for all the info!:face_holding_back_tears:

The lights do look better, so thank you! But I have one more (hopefully just one) question- @eric-s talked about highlight burn. I have it turned down to the minimum in Vray buffer frame. I found another “highlight burn” in vray settings, I lowered it but hmm… didn’t change that much. Which highlight burn did you mean? :wink:

You can find it in the Frame Buffer. You need to add an ‘Exposure Layer’ in the Frame Buffer…then you can adjust the Highlight Burn.

Mhm, yup, I changed that one :wink: I think I’ll try resetting the vray settings cause I read that it can help with lots of different problems :wink: thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

zrobione

That’s what I ended up with, not too bad I’d say :wink: Thank you all for your tips guys!

5 Likes

Great improvement! Bravo!

1 Like

Looks great. Nice Job!

1 Like

perfect result :+1:

1 Like

One little nit to pick: Edges (no matter what the material) are RARELY perfect 90 degree angles. What usually screams “CG” is cabinets that are these boxes with perfect square edges. A tiny amount of rounding adds little bit of verisimilitude, even if reality says, “No, this looks perfectly square”.

Part of that has to do with the rendering engine: it sees a square edge and treats it like a square edge. Meaning you get a hardish line along the edge. Doors (under your sink) always have a gap because they do — even a 1/8” gap will help the look.

Think about how things join at the bottom as well. Just my two cents.

Remember, the world is not perfectly engineered (as much as we would like it to be!)

Thank you so much for your comment! I was recently suggested to try fredocorner extension for sketchup to help with these too perfect edges haha and I definitely will! Cheers :slight_smile:

I HIGHLY recommend the Fredo tools.

Fixing those edges will definitely give it a more natural look. I’ve never met a carpenter that has ever made a perfect box :grinning:

1 Like

OT: If you want to know about precision, this is one of my favourite books:
http://www.simonwinchester.com/exactly

1 Like

I built a 36’ horse shelter and was happy when the diagonal was off by 2”.

Perfection is overrated, sometimes you have to settle for “■■■■, that was really, really close!”

Then pat yourself on the back for luck going your way. :grin: :laughing: