Applying textures to faces directly and deleted textures

Hi.

This has recently come up with a model i have been woring on and im now trying to understand it better.

If I have a closed box, saved as a component and i want to paint it red, i have been ‘editing component’, using the paint bucket and clicking the face and it goes red.

Later if i want to delete the colour and return to the default face colour, i click and press delete, and the whole face goes away.

• is it possible to delete a texture applied to a face or do you always need to use the paint bucket to change back to the original?

• please could someone demonstarte the differences betweeen applying a texture directly to a face inside editing and the other way of applying it outside of the component.

i hope that makes sense???

To “delete” a texture from a face, open the “Colors in model” swatches in the materials window (the little house icon) and you will see the default material the in the upper left, sample that and apply it to a face.

further explanation on painting inside or outside of containers:

1 Like

This is because when you click on a face, you select that face not its material property. Then pressing delete erases that face because it is what is selected. There is no way in the view to directly select the material on a face. There are, however, other routes.

You can open Entity Info while the face is selected. Entity Info then displays and lets you alter various properties of the face. The applied material is one of these, and shows up in the sample swatch at the top of entity info:

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 1.18.36 PM

If you double-click that swatch, the Materials (labelled “Colors” on Mac) Window will open and you can drag a different material onto the swatch to change it. The default material is among the choices on “Colors in Model” in the Materials WIndow.

Alternatively, you can activate the paint bucket tool, select a material in the Materials Window, and click on the face to paint it with that material.

To set up this animation, I made a simple component with two rectangular faces inside it. I painted the component with a pink color. I then opened the component for edit and painted one of the faces with a blue color. In the animation I click first the component to show how it is painted. Notice that the blue painted face overrides the component color - it shows blue. But the other face shows as having the component’s color. Then I open the component for edit and click each face to show how they are painted. This reveals that the one that appears pink actually has the default material applied (which is really “no material”).

colors

1 Like

great. I did a similar example. When you rotate you can see the back of the blue rectabgle is pink. which is clear to show the component has changed its default colour to pink and the blue is painted onto that surface. Great simple example thank you.

So is there a best practice or does it come down to each example. generally paint the component from the outside (therefore changing its default colour) as most components are predominantly one colour and then edit for changes within the component (like your car example).

Most of the time it is better to paint individual faces inside a component. It provides control of how textures are placed and also lets you use different materials on different faces instead of having a completely uniform color. It also reduces confusion about where the color is coming from, particularly if some of the contents need to be a different material than others.

When the object is homogeneous, so all its contents should be shown as the same material, it can be adequate and simpler to paint the component (or group). A good example is when generating a CutList for woodworking. The CutList extensions work with whole objects, not with their edges and faces. It is sufficient to paint the component to tell the CutList what material each piece is made from.

Any cahnce you could see what i have done wrong here?

I have tried to alter the proscenium so that i paint the whole component from the outside as opposed to edit and each face. When i click the Bucket and then the default square and click a face it reverts to a cinder block finish which another wall is painted? Argh? I must preserve!

What you are seeing is a result of nesting components. The ideas I discussed above apply equally to nested components as to faces. The PROSCENIUM component instance is nested inside the OPERA HOUSE TOULON component instance.

The opera house is painted with a dark red-brown material (I don’t know the names of your materials, so I’ll just describe how their colors look). The proscenium itself has the default material, but the faces inside it have a gold-brown material applied. So, that material dominates the coloring on the view of the model - through the containing proscenium component and recursively its containing opera house component. If you paint the whole proscenium with a material, the one from its faces will still show through. To fix it you would need to paint the whole proscenium object with the new desired material, then open the proscenium for edit, select all, and repaint them with the default material. If you do this in the opposite order, the proscenium will inherit the material from the opera house, which will make it hard to see when you go to paint it!

1 Like