Alien APC - Ron Cobb design concept

My actual project: the APC concept design from Ron Cobb for the alien movie.
I use a drawing to draw the model.
Now i’m converting all details to quadfaces for subd to get a smoother surface for rendering.

13 Likes

I’ve seen drawings of that including the motion of the steering. Nice job!

This picture is used for the work in sketchup.

6 Likes

Sweet! Can’t wait to see the final results. Nice work!

Progress pics:
Most of the details already converted to quadfaces.
Body almost done.

10 Likes

What’d you use to convert to quad faces?

I use quadface tools, vertex tools, meshwrapper and subd.
Meshwrapper provides the hotkey P to soft an select edge - makes 2 triangles to a quad.
Quadface tools has a feature to color the faces, green=quad, blue=triange, red=polygon.
This helps me to draw and modify the geometry in quads.

2 Likes

Main work done - now adding details, greeblies nuts and bolts…
Thinking about to add an interior…

7 Likes

More details added according to the drawings.

I give the tires a bit bulged look on the ground to “simulate” the weight.

Regards
Torsten

8 Likes

Clay render with blender 2.8 :scream::nerd_face::cowboy_hat_face:

10 Likes

Awesome work!

1 Like

sketchup - subd applied

Quick render in blender :slight_smile:

Now searching for some good logo files…
Cheers
Torsten

9 Likes

I’ve got some good colonial marines decals if you want them
Ed: I thought I also had them in work but they must be at home so I’ll post a link when I get in.
EdEd: Nope I did have them in work, if somehting looks missing its becasue its white, like the weyland logo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lkbHjyC4_e0LRC7HuMqsIObEazRRAVou

2 Likes

Many thanks.

2 Likes

WOW! This is very cool!

1 Like

Hi there! I’m not sure about the best place to reach you so maybe I’ll try different ways.
I’m Marcos (TopoSolitario in the community) and I’m really interested in your Ron Cobb’s Aliens APC model for personal 3D printing…
It is a GREAT implementation and I think the Aliens community will be really interested in a printable version of it.
I’m NOT willing to ask for free stuff but to keep you on track of the quality of your model and the possibility to release it in some place like CULTS, for the love of the design! :slight_smile:
Feel free to contact me about it, I really hope this message reaches you.
Thank you in advance!

Don’t know how I missed this, but it’s a busy forum, and I don’t catch everything. Did you get in touch with @tengel07 at all?

While making this model for himself is almost certainly not a problem, I would have some concern about possible copyright infringements from Cobb’s estate as far as re-distributing a model, and especially selling one. My sister and her first husband were good friends with him, and I got to know him a bit through them. Fabulous talent first in hand drawing and then computer media later, and fun to watch him work in person. Torsten’s model is so well done, it might be possible to get actual permission from his estate to produce it in some form.

1 Like

Hi there! No, I was not able to get in touch… sorry!

Generally speaking: I’m not selling my work. It’s just for fun and to show how a drawing comes to a real model. The main reason to keep the model private is: the design is copyright protected and i do respect the work from others.

My model is made for rendering not for 3d printing - 3d printing requires a different design approach from the beginning of the 3d design.

3 Likes