Advice on buying PC for SketchUp free, Web only (Free version) - Asus VivoBook 14 X413, i3-1115G4 / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD

Hey community :slight_smile:

I dont have much knowledge regarding computers, and hope that you can help me with guidance regarding a specific computer, which is on offer for about 400 euros (2.999 DKK - Danish kroners).

I need it for smaller private projects in SketchUp free, Web only (Free version).

The projects could, for example, be small wooden buildings of 50 square meters, where I have to draw the wooden constructions and layers in the building, so I can make a material list and cutting plan for the materials, as well as drawings with element dimensions.

Will this computer be able to handle the tasks, and is there anything I need to be aware of?

The specifications are as follows.

Key specification:

Product Series: VivoBook.
CPU number / model: 1115G4.
Internal memory RAM (GB): 8.
Total storage capacity (GB): 256.
Graphics card model (GPU): Intel® UHD Graphics.
Screen size (inches): 14.
Wi-Fi generation: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax).
Operating system version: Windows 10 S Home.

Model description:

Product type: Laptop.
Model name/Product Series: Asus VivoBook 14 X413.
Manufacturer Part No: 90NB0RL7-M09410.
Specifications: 1. i3-1115G4 / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD.
EAN code: 4711081044062.
Manufacturer Part No: X413EA-EB170T.

Processor:

Processor type: Intel Core i3.
CPU number / model: 1115G4.
CPU generation: 11th gen.
Number of cores: 2.
Speed ​​(GHz): 3.
Max. turbo clock frequency (GHz): 4.1.
CPU cache: 6MB.

Storage and memory:

RAM type: DDR4.
Internal memory RAM (GB): 8.
RAM max upgrade (GB): 8.
RAM speed (MHz): 3200.
Storage type / SSD interface: M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD.
SSD (GB) storage capacity: 256.

Screen / display:

Screen size (inches): 14.
Screen type: IPS.
Resolution standard: Full HD (1080p).
Max. resolution: 1920 x 1080.
Picture format: 16: 9.
Refresh rate (Hz): 60.
Brightness (Rivet): 250.

I hope you will spend 5 minutes helping me, I will greatly appreciate it!

In advance thank you!

Best regards, Kim

I use mainly the desktop version, but I understand that the main requirement for the web versions is that the device you use is able to run a WebGL-enabled browser. People use for instance Chromebooks to run it.

1 Like

This sounds a bit like a commercial activity. Just so that you know, SketchUp Free is not intended to be used for commercial work.

2 Likes

Your list of specifications shows an integrated Intel GPU. Integrated graphics have never been recommended for SketchUp. Better to get a dedicated Nvidia graphics card.

As @TDahl points out, what you describe sounds like a commercial use. For that you would need to be using SketchUp Shop or SketchUp Pro. If you want to get material take offs as you describe you would need SketchUp Pro.

2 Likes

Integrated Intel graphics share the system memory.
8 GB might be a bit low for a HD display and all that you might wish to run.

The web version does not yet have an API, so you cannot run CutList extensions.

2 Likes

Hey Anssi

Thanks for your post.

As mentioned, I do not have that much knowledge about computers (Hardware).

But as far as I understand a WebGL-enabled browser is just a software like Google Chrome, so I guess I can just use Google Chrome and that will be sufficient enough with the specifications that this computer has?

I would like to elaborate on the use of the computer and SketchUp. The computer and SketchUp is not intended as a long-term solution. It is basically intended for a few smaller projects on a property that I own.

In the long run, I’ll buy a powerful desktop computer later this year, on which I will only use Revit, which I normally work in.

I have not used SketchUp before, but have seen some architects use it, and thought, it was a simple tool in comparison with Revit, and fine for my upcoming task, and as I was still going to buy a cheap computer for simple everyday use, so I thought, that I might as well buy a computer that could run SketchUp on low settings.

Best regards, Kim

Hey TDahl

Thanks for your post.

I would like to elaborate on the use of the computer and SketchUp. The computer and SketchUp is not intended as a long-term solution. It is basically intended for a few smaller projects on a property that I own.

In the long run, I’ll buy a powerful desktop computer later this year, on which I will only use Revit, which I normally work in.

I have not used SketchUp before, but have seen some architects use it, and thought, it was a simple tool in comparison with Revit, and fine for my upcoming task, and as I was still going to buy a cheap computer for simple everyday use, so I thought, that I might as well buy a computer that could run SketchUp on low settings.

Best regards, Kim

Hey DaveR

Thanks for your post.

Even though integrated graphics have never been recommended for SketchUp, will this computer still be able to run SketchUp for the usage which is describes below?

In regard to the material take offs as I describe, I guess, that I can just put measurement on the drawings instead?

Best regards, Kim

Hey DanRathbun

Thanks for your post.

Even though 8 GB might be a bit low for a HD display and all that I might wish to run. will this computer still be able to run SketchUp for the usage which is describes below?

In regard to the CutList extension that I describe, I guess, that I can just put measurement on the drawings instead?

Best regards, Kim

No need to repeat your posts in this thread.

So if this is for a personal project you can use SketchUp Free (web). As was already mentioned however there’s no facility to create cutlists or other materials take-offs in the web version so you’ll have to do all that manually.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

Okay, I will remember not to repeat myself again in the thread. Was just not sure if people read the other replies.

For such small projects, I can easily make the material lists manually, so that’s fine.

So I guess, that I can go ahead and buy this computer for my project, or is there any other advice you would like send med off with?

Again, thank you :blush:

1 Like

Take the time to use the software correctly. Go through the instructional materials at learn.sketchup.com

You’ve said you’re only going to use SketchUp for one or two projects and then you are going to switch to Revit. If that’s what you are committed to, why not just go ahead and start with Revit and learn one program? Why are you going to use Revit instead of SketchUp anyway? You could pay for 8+ years of SketchUp Pro for the price of a year of Revit.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, I will.

To answer your question in regard to the use of SketchUp and Revit.

I have a bachelor in architectural technology and construction management specializing in design in the architectural industry, where we only or mainly use Revit.

I already have a high level of use in Revit, but do not have a computer privately that is suitable for Revit, as my previous computer broke down, and I would like to save up for a high-end computer for use in Revit.

But since I would like to get this project done, and I still need a laptop for everyday use, this seemed like a fine temporary solution.

It sounds like your computer meets the minimum specifications. It does not have the recommended specifications, as others mentioned a dedicated graphics card. But sometimes we have to deal with less than ideal situations temporarily.

Best of luck!

1 Like

It might, but I would recommend a minimum of 16GB RAM.

However, if the machine is advertised to be RAM upgradable then you might put this off until later if you run into sluggish behavior switching applications.

1 Like

Hey Nate2

Thanks for your post.

It’s soothing.

I wish you a great day.

Best regards, Kim :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply.

As far as I can see, the machine is advertised to be RAM upgradable with 8 GB RAM, whitch will get it to a total of 16 GB RAM, so I guess that I for a start, will put this off until later if I run into sluggish behavior.

Thanks for the advice.

I wish you a great day.

Best regards, Kim :slight_smile:

1 Like