Please, somebody tell me I’m doing something wrong.
The problem in Summary:
When I add a texture whose base color has previously been modified to my own user specified materials list, shutting down and re-opening SketchUp will cause the texture to revert back to the original base color of the texture image file. That is, the color modification is lost.
The Long version:
Let’s say ‘Material_01’ is a seamless ‘egg shell’ style texture that I have brought into SketchUp via the usual means. I have been using this material for years by simply ‘eye dropping’ it from old model to new model. Clunky but effective, I know.
At some point I must have edited the base colour of this material via the method in @TheOnlyAaron ’s skill builder video. That is, ‘Material_01’ is several shades darker than the original imported JPG texture image.
As per @DaveR ’s instructions in this thread, I was investigating creating my own user list of materials so I could collate all my frequently used materials into my own list in the materials browser. The idea being that this is far more elegant than ‘eye dropping’ a material from old model to new model.
A summary for those who don’t want to skim the thread;
- Select ‘new…’ From the ‘list’ drop down menu in the materials browser.
- specify a name for the new materials list. I called mine ‘my textures’ (the default).
- select the ‘in model’ materials from the list in the materials browser.
- drag ‘Material_01’ to the ‘pallet’ at the bottom of the materials browser.
- select the freshly created ‘my textures’ from the list In the materials browser.
- drag ‘Material_01’ from the pallet into ‘my textures’ list.
‘Material_01’ is now living in the ‘my textures’ list. Hooray!
It exists there with the modified shade I spoke of earlier so long as I don’t shut down SketchUp and then re-open the program. Once I re-open S.U, ‘Material_01’ can still be found in ‘my textures’ but its color has reverted to that of the unmodified original texture image. Needless to say, I cannot work with this!
Can anyone else replicate this on their Mac system? I would like to know If I can expect this to work as it should with out using an external image editor.