Accurate Location of Model

What you mention @MikeWayzovski is correct. You can import files into Connect in the TMAPS viewer and view them, BUT this is limited to SHP, KML and Esri Geodatabase files.
Before you import the files, you have give in the location of your data.

There is no way to view TMAPS and a SU model in one.
You can import CSV files into SU with PointGadget, this way you can use survey data.

1 Like

PointGadget is ok but doesn’t come close to solving the problem, say I have survey data in NAD83 State Plane PA South, those coordinates would be something like 451037.4151, 1324455.032 so pretty far from SUs origin. I know PointGadget lets you set the origin but I have no idea how the origin of NAD83 State Plane PA South (defined as Lambert Conformal Conic 2 parallel projection, central latitude 39°20’00"N, central longitude 77°45’00", false northing in meters of 0, false easting in meters 600,000, parallel 1 40°58’00", parallel 2 39°56’00") relates to SU’s origin. But Trimble Business Center knows. I have been trying to figure it out. Most professional CAD and GIS packages take care of this for you. We can’t just be guessing at this or placing things so they look right on a background image when we are getting data from civil engineers and architects that are within 0.1’ or better in some real world coordinate system.

1 Like

TBC knows it, because TBC is designed to edit and work with survey data. SU is not for survey data and only for design, that’s why there is no coordinate systems in SU and the origin is 0,0,0.
You have the oppurtunity to assign it and import it into SU, but it’s not TBC. A way to use it, is design it in SU, use markers and import it in TBC and match it to the real world coordinates with the markers. In TBC you can change the background to an image like in the last photo’s.

1 Like

Yes I realize SU is a “design” software but so is Civil 3D or Revit and both can be used to “design” in the real world. For instance I get a site design from a civil engineer with the building pad and utility laterals, I have no way to correctly reference that to the coordinate system their plan is on and no way to give them a dwg out of SU that will drop in the correct location in their site file without using some other program like TBC. I believe this is a short coming of SU that makes it difficult to exchange data with other professionals.

I understand it. Maybe you can use the SiteVision Exporter in SU, with this you can assign the 0,0,0 axis to a real world coordinate (if you have it), this way the SU file gets a coordinate.
I don’t know why SU doesn’t have exact coordinate systems attached to it, the only option is the geo locate option, but this is very rough and not exact.