A scale plugin with unique features

After doing some looking, I see top views of the SD45 with circular fan guards. It looks to me as if they are made from bent rods welded to spokes. for that I would probably use the Box Method to draw the rings. That would be quick and painless.

Bool Tools 2isn’t free but it’s not expensive and it can save a lot of time.

I know nothing about trains, but it probably looks something like this.
In this case I made the whole shape, apart from the spokes from one profile and follow me, then removed the faces above and below the rings. Then made an array of spokes, these could be above, below or centered on the rings. In this image they are centered.

1 Like

@Box

that’s exactly how it would look like on SD45’s top view. and that’s a fantastic work you did there.

@DaveR
Yeah, somewhere in future, I would buy the pros for Sketchup and I will also buy WrapR and Bool Tools 2 since they are very useful.

and Box, I am just doing a low count of the polygon and a high detail at the moment. and that shape is exactly what I have in mind when it’s for a high detail with enough polygon that makes the circle look more smoothly. This is just a matter of gaining more experiences.

Your low poly high poly comment made me play a bit with SUbD to smooth it out. With a lot of poetic license I eventually ended up with this.
Fan%20Cover00c2
And here’s little gif running through the basic process of making one using multiple follow me and radial array.
VentCover

5 Likes

How in world you find that picture, the first picture! 0_0 I was looking for a picture like that and use it as a reference. I ended up couldn’t find it. About your GIF, it really shows that you knew how to use Sketchup’s full potential. :relieved:

I was speechless and I already understood what you did in the GIF. that’s a better method and more detail with no reverse face for something like 3D printing. so I’ll keep that method in mind as well.

Edit:
And one more thing, after seeing that first picture, I’ll have to fix that shape. To be honest, I would like to thank you for finding that picture, though, I don’t know where you found it from.

No no no, you misunderstand, don’t copy that, it’s not a photo, that was me making it up as I went along.
It’s my model rendered using twilight. I’ve never even seen the part you are talking about, I had one quick look at a train photo and made up a vent cover and put a fan in it.

1 Like

@Box
0_0 :(___)

it looks so realistic. I have been fooled. LMAO!

btw, I didn’t copy it. I used the blueprint of SD45… :thinking: well let me show you a picture:

Capture

see the letter, #A and #B

what I did is just raise the circular that # A is connected to. that’s all. I forgot to do that

1 Like

Knowing the internet it’ll probably come back around before too long as proof of what that part looks like.

Please look up and I edited my previous post.

Alright.

Everyone, thank you for teaching me the methods to make the shape and it will help me greatly in future. I won’t forget what I learned! :innocent:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.