A little concern about SketchUp's future

Hey guys. I have a question in mind that bothers me. What if a major extension developer like Fredo6 or ThomThom decide to not work on their extensions anymore, so their brilliant extensions may not compatible with future SketchUp versions. It bothers me that my workflow (and many other users) is rely on something that has not strong bases. I mean major 3D softwares like 3ds max kinda bought and attached some useful plugins like chamfer, turbosmooth and so on to the main software and from then that plugin is part of the main software.
Could you guys make this clear to me? Thank you.

*Sorry for possible grammatically mistakes

4 Likes

I feel hopeful. I happened to be looking at the Extension Warehouse approval queue, in connection with some issue or other I imagine, and noticed that Fredo recently updated a Fredo6 extension. Also, Thom works at SketchUp, and hasn’t hinted at leaving.

I was also at the DevCamp meeting three months ago, and so I know about ongoing improvements, and that the extension developers there seemed generally positive about how things are going.

1 Like

Not that I think that will happen, but I have always been a huge proponent for SketchUp users to understand and being able to fully function without extensions. By doing this you are also better able to select the extensions that best work for your flow.

I do use a few (certainly not enough), but much of my work is done utilizing only native tools.

1 Like

Hi Colin. I know they both working on their extensions (God bless them).
My concern is “What if” they’ll not want (or able) to maintain their extensions anymore in the future?
I have seen some extensions in store that has not been updated from 2013 and they no longer works on newer SketchUp versions.
Those extensions are dead (probably for good), right?

Hi Sonder. Thanks for the reply. I assume not everyone has @Box 's understanding of geometry. That guy is a genius in working with vanilla workflow.
What I’m saying is, for example, why SketchUp shouldn’t have simple functions like “chamfer” or “adding thickness to curved surfaces” (or many other standard functions that SketchUp doesn’t have by itself) in native software?
I remember that someday Solid Tools was a plugin that Sketchup bought and added to native Sketchup. Why that can’t happen to other useful tools?

Extensions that use complied code for heavy calculations, e.g. renderers, need to be recompiled for each new Ruby version. With the exception of these however most good quality extension should just keep working even if no one maintains them. The SketchUp extensibility team is very keen not to introduce breaking changes to the API, and when something breaks it is often because the extension relied on undocumented behavior and assumptions.

2 Likes