2022/2023 New laptops and SketchUp compatibility

On a budget of $1500???

lol, yes, obviously they are cheeper now than newest m2 pro
even if you need much power, but low budget you can always buy the second hand

Hi, Sometimes just getting a new hard drive can fix (new) stability & performance issues (without needing to replace anything else). Hard drives don’t last forever. Another cheapish fix could be to look at getting more ram as well as a new hard drive (if you can squeeze it into your existing setup). SSD drives are much faster than SATA drives and are a very cost effective way to improve your existing laptop - do you have a computer store you could ask for a quote on doing this nearby?. I’ve gone with a Samsung Evo 860 - just remember to get something a fair bit bigger than you need as things like AppData on Windows and all the other annoying temp files can clog up your system and slow you down (cleaning these out can also help a lot if your scratch disk space is low). You could also consider GoodSync to regularly do backup & data transfer onto a new drive if needed - I find it really helpful, and it’s not expensive. Good luck whatever way you go!

1 Like

I am running skp on a 4 years old macbook pro with 2.6GHz intel i7, 32GB ram, and AMD Radeon 5300M 4GB. It’s not blazing fast at all, but I am able to run skp, MS Office, and Adobe suites nicely.

Not sure what skp pros think of macbooks, but I think it is a nice little traveling laptop that can do many things.

basically that. those of us who are fine with macs think that.
those who don’t like macs don’t think that off course :slight_smile:

macbook pros are fine. macbook air tend to be on the light side of things, but then again, it depends on what you are doing.

Even the Iris Xe will be a massive improvement over your HD 5500: Radeon Pro 560X vs Intel Iris Xe vs Intel HD 5500 vs GeForce MX550 [videocardbenchmark.net] by PassMark Software

I’m running SketchUp on Radeon Pro 560X, which benchmarks about half way between Iris Xe and GeForce MX550. It copes fine with most SketchUp models, only when I bring in something really large does it start to get jumpy.