20 Reasons to consider learning Blender

Here’s a tutorial I did that may be of some help with dimensioning.

export obj from SU to get that into blender.

@chippwalters have you any advice on getting hard shadows like in SketchUp. In work I have great success with still images in SketchUp but I also have a need to animate in the same style. I know it can be done in Blender but I have not yet found a good way.

Blender had a render mode in Cycles called Freestyle which can do what you suggest. I also think it might work in EEVEE too.

You can create such effects via material/shaders with Eevee. Check this video:

Thanks @chippwalters @filibis I will check both of those out in work today.

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to continue to use SketchUp as their primary excellent modeler, and then only use the new FREE Blender 2.8 EEVEE realtime photoreal renderer for importing their SU models (textures intact) and adding / updating materials, lights, and creating renders and animations. On my 3 yr old PC I can render a fairly complex interior scene at 8K in less than 15 seconds. I can animate a 3 minute video in an hour. All pretty cool. And I can still continue to use SketchUp to model in.

Consider the below image. On the left is the original photo, on the right is the EEVEE render in under 15 seconds (after a 4 minute bake which you do once).

This course is targeted at SketchUp users, and there were many beta testers, big names, from the SU community involved. It’s called Definitely EEVEE: Definitive Interiors and if you’re a SketchUp user, you may want to take a look at it: