Is there a way to prevent a group from being exploded?

I was wondering if there was a way of “locking” a group to prevent it from being exploded. I tried the lock method, but it completely locks the group. I want to be able to move the group object and scale it, just not be able to explode the group.
Hope that makes sense.

I don’t know of any way to accomplish this. It comes down to “if it hurts, don’t do that!” In other words, “explode” is a conscious action, not a side effect.

1 Like

I understand that the group does not explode on its own. My question is, if my plugin creates a model. That model is created into a group. I would like the user to be able to scale and move the model, but not ungroup it. I’m thinking that this is not possible, but I was just making sure.

It’s not possible. The user must know that exploding a group that is associated with your plugin will end its association, the remaining geometry won’t have the features anymore that your plugin offers.

I think this is in line with how explode is used on other things: Decompose the entity into its primitives and end all relationships that it previously had. Want to “destroy” a circle (end the restriction it has on edges)? Explode it. Want to end a component from being dynamic?…

There is no way to change how lock works - or selectively lock parts of an object. This sounds more like a documentation issue to me. I’ve created several extensions where objects have attributes that gives them special meaning - I go by the assumption that if the user explodes it they discard the special behaviour of the object. I’ve yet to hear feedback from the users that find this confusing.
Same thing with Dynamic Components - if you explode it you discard all the dynamic properties. It’s a consistent concept which I think you can leverage.

1 Like