GPU Intel HD 520 vs AMD Radeon R7 M360 2GB

Hi, I have to buy a new laptop and my budget is very low. I use SketchUp frequently but with simple models (5-10 MB). The laptop I’m planning to buy is a HP ProBook 440 G3:

Display 14" 1920*1080
i7 6500u wuth integrated graphics HD 520
8GB RAM
256 GB SSD
Windows 7 or 10 Pro 64 bit

With some extra money I could buy a different laptop that has the same specs except it has a discrete GPU: AMD Radeon R7 M360 2GB.

Will I get some performance improvements in SketchUp with the AMD Radeon R7 M360 2GB comparing to HD 520?

nope …and additionally the OpenGL support of the Radeon drivers for 3D modelers is sub-par… to say the least.

Go for a nVidia GeForce GT(X)m if possible at all… or disable “Window > Preferences > OpenGL > Use Hardware Acceleration” if using an integrated solution or the flaky Radeon.

1 Like

Another thing is that the integrated graphics will steal memory away from your system. A discrete graphics card has it’s own memory.

The HD 520 and HD 530 Intel graphics are the latest integrated Intel APU solutions (coming with their 6th generation Intel® Core™ i-series Mobile Processors.) It has been asked quite a few times whether SketchUp will run with them, but I haven’t seen anyone report back specifically on them.

I would be interested to know if Intel is doing better with their latest APUs (with regard to OpenGL and SketchUp.)

There is a graphics reporting thread topic around here somewhere.

FYI, I have created a standalone wikilist of collected topic threads:
Hardware Purchasing Advice For SketchUp & LayOut

It’s our standard company laptop :frowning:
I don’t have one as I have a desktop and an older “power” laptop. I am on my summer holiday, otherwise I could try to get my hands on one and test. Some people with AMD graphics have been more lucky with the 32-bit version of SketchUp than the 64-bit one.

Anssi