Best cheap/free rendering plugin for a student?

Hey guys,

I have recently started to use sketchup and i downloaded kerkythea but unfortunately i cant get it to work! Are there any other good free/cheap plugins for a student? i dont want to pay a lot as i dont use it that often :confused:

Many thanks, Jed.

try Visualizer…
simple and free…
john

I have attempted to use it but it creates a ‘grainy’ image which doesn’t look fully rendered… am i doing something wrong?

@junglistjed the longer you run the less grainy it becomes, it is possible to set the amount of time so have a look at the tutorial videos…

Any idea how long it would take for it to become a top quality image? i am looking to put it into photoshop once its done to add some other bits and pieces so just wondering!

EDIT: Looks like i have been given a timer, ill report back once its done to see if its worked! many thanks

Guerilla Render. It’s not plugin but a standalone.

Export to *OBJ and import using Menu > Create >Create Reference.

Looks like the learning curve is hard. Is a node based renderer and powerful.

Visualizer is free, but sadly, development has stopped and it is being discontinued and no longer supported. Version 1.3 is free, and it is really amazing for basic renders.

1 Like

Kerkythea is free, powerful & a good starting point for any skill set. It also has a plugin for SKUP
Twilight Render builds on the Kerky render engine with a more integrated toolset for working within SKUP - there is also a free hobby version to get you going.

1 Like

SUPLUGINS.COM IS THE BEST AND CHEAPEST SOLUTION.

You can make beautiful, photo-realistic rendering of your SketchUp model without the pain and frustration of learning a complex program. SU Podium runs completely inside SketchUp from start to finish. It uses SketchUp features such as materials and shadows to achieve impressive results. SU Podium is intuitive to SketchUp users. Plus, its simple interface cuts the learning curve to minutes instead of months.

Kerkythea takes a little while to get used to but you will find it’s the best free option around. Maxwell does a free version that you might get on with, though it won’t allow you to make the rapid renders that Kerkythea does using the Photonmap Med setting.

Maxwell render (free)

My best kept little secret right now is that Unity 5, the free game engine, does amazing Global Illumination renders. Here’s a quick one I did to test it out:

if looking for something capable but still useable go for the free Twiligh Render Hobby version.

1 Like

I too used Kerkythea just now but it opens independently and has nothing in common with Google Sketch up Pro. I could not find any way of either importing/inserting/ opening it in Google SKetch and vice versa.

Kerkythea creates rendered images from the 3D model you created in SketchUp. You could import those images into SketchUp if you need an image but otherwise there’s no point in trying to go back to SketchUp from Kerkythea.

As far as getting from SketchUp to Kerkythea, there is an extension called SU2KT which is available from the Kerkythea site. It provides automatic export to Kerkythea as well as offering the option to add lights and do some things with textures.

Please note, it hasn’t been Google SketchUp for years.

Tried the free download from SU podium but it locked me out of my file telling me that I can only view the file henceforth but not edit it since they have the authority, so I have uninstalled it and disconnected my internet.

it’s only One - Blendup and blender/cycles! , rest is garbage

That’s patently false.

1 Like

Yes because is good, and no comparison with it

That is only your opinion. It is not a fact.

not only mine ;]

Fake Fact :wink:

1 Like