I want to buy a new Macbook for my professional interior design activity, especially for:
- SketchUp Pro, for plans and elevation modelling
- V-Ray, for interior rendering
My MacBook Pro mid-2009 (2.53Ghz 2-core / 8Gb / 512 Gb SSD / NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 Mb) has been a very good fellow for ten years but its performances are no longer enough.
I’ve read a lot of topics here, you already answered many questions (thanks for that), but I still need some advice to help me to make a decision, and that could be summed up as:
Brand new Macbook vs. 2014/15 Macbook?
According to some of you, newest Macbooks performances are disappointing and the improvements compared to the older models aren’t worth it. And also particularly for V-Ray, because newest Macbooks without NVIDIA cards are slower.
But are 2014/15 Macbooks really enough for today use will they be so for the next 5 years?
After a glance at the second hand market, I am hesitating between 3 models:
- the latest NVIDIA Macbook Pro 2014 / 4-core i7 2.8 Ghz (boost 4.0 Ghz) / 16Gb / 256 Gb SSD / NVIDIA GT750M
- the first non-NVIDIA Macbook Pro 2015 / 4-core i7 2.8 Ghz (boost 4.0 Ghz) / 16Gb / 512 Gb PCIe / AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2Gb
- a refurb brand new Macbook Pro 2019 / 6-core i7 2.6 Ghz (boost 4.5 Ghz) / 16Gb / 512 Gb SSD / AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4Gb
Oh one more thing: I may consider a desktop computer later but today my priority is really a Apple laptop.