What’s up with SketchUp Make?

I don’t know, I guess I would agree with @SketchUp3D_de on that one.

If you have been using something for over a decade for free, and then not happy it’s been reduced in scope after changing hands three times, it’s kind of hard to feel bad.

When I used to work as head of apps in my last company, it was great in the early days when we only had one size of iPad to worry about and a couple of phones. However within 5 years we had thousands of screens to hit. Despite the resources I had (even being one of the largest publishers in the world), we had to move away from bespoke apps targeted to devices or even OS’s and move into web apps (build once or twice and hit everything). It’s the only way we could manage to keep track of maintenance, developement and uptime. Although not the same as SketchUp the analogy is similar.

Make 17 still works fine, and the product team have been fairly open to say the web version is still WIP and then hope to include plugins in the future. I would think it fairly certain you would see some sort of Plugin Option before the depreciation of Make unless you are on a Mac, but even then it’s still up in the air regarding hardware and that would also affect Pro in the same way.

2 Likes